Savage

EnronEnron Join Date: 2003-08-13 Member: 19656Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just like NS?</div> Have you guys seen previews for the new game "Savage"?

<a href='http://pc.ign.com/articles/361/361820p1.html' target='_blank'>http://pc.ign.com/articles/361/361820p1.html</a>

All over their page and in press releases they brag about their 'new' game as fpsrts. You have the choice of going into 'command mode' where you give orders and work a tech tree. Or you can go as a grunt and be out in the field fighting...sound familiar?

"The difference here is that one player on each team won't be playing the action game. Instead they'll be viewing and controlling the action from an RTS perspective and issuing orders to the rest of the players as if they were units."

"Savage lets one player jump into a commander role to control worker units, build structures, gather resources, research weapons for other players, and suggest orders to the other players. As ambitious as this hybrid design sounds, judging from what we've been able to play of a beta version of the game, developer S2 Games seems to be on the right track."

LAME.

Someone needs to make some noise and say that NS was definitely here first...

Comments

• CHAMoisCHAMois Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13339Members
    Well first of all Savage is far more of an RTS ns will ever be. Don't get me wrong, I prefer NS to savage in every way other than that, but its true.

Secondly neither are the first. Learn yourself some Battlezone.

However it is the first retail online fps rts that I know of

But the game itself is ridiculous. Simply because you start with a bow and a pair of two hand axes and then end with laser rifles and rocket launchers and crap. It's kind of retarded.
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    RTS-shooter is a nice Genre mix.
    Lets see more.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    i can't imagine playing a fps-rts without voice comm...
  • homerxhomerx Join Date: 2003-04-01 Member: 15094Members
    Some people may not like Savage, but I for one will buy a copy as soon as it hits the local shelves.

First retail online FPS RTS? Does C&C Renegade count?
  • homerxhomerx Join Date: 2003-04-01 Member: 15094Members
    Frogg2,

What makes you so sure that Savage won't have voice communication?
  • wlibaerswlibaers Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8685Members
    edited September 2003
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=41781' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...=ST&f=1&t=41781</a>
  • SemperFi1SemperFi1 Join Date: 2003-02-14 Member: 13559Members
    Ugh, I didnt like savage at ALL. I was in the beta and gave my key up to someone in about 3 days. The game was just not fun.
  • AminalAminal Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10610Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--CHAMOIS+Sep 10 2003, 12:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CHAMOIS @ Sep 10 2003, 12:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Secondly neither are the first. Learn yourself some Battlezone. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    battlezone was the shiznit
  • typicalskeletontypicalskeleton Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 14011Members
    Who cares?

HL certainly wasn't the "first" FPS game, nor was Quake 2, etc, etc.

The market is big enough for similar products, they've existed for years. No reason to whine like a kid and say "HEY WE WERE FIRST, NYAH!".. this will just raise awareness and popularity in the genre, helping NS's cause.

Being advertised as the "first" is rarely true for anyone anymore, but a lot of companies will do it. They'll also tout theirs as the "best", it's just business.. it's not a big deal.

Try to be objective. =P
  • CHAMoisCHAMois Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13339Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--typicalskeleton+Sep 10 2003, 12:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (typicalskeleton @ Sep 10 2003, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Being advertised as the "first" is rarely true for anyone anymore <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    au contraire, I am the first person to reply to this thread.
  • FireStormFireStorm Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7390Members
    edited September 2003
    do you remember tribes? There's a commander mode too (but in 2D)
  • TeflonTeflon Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20289Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--homerx+Sep 10 2003, 12:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (homerx @ Sep 10 2003, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Some people may not like Savage, but I for one will buy a copy as soon as it hits the local shelves.

First retail online FPS RTS? Does C&C Renegade count? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Renegade is as 'strategic' as Bozo Buckets. Not to mention incredibly unbalanced and not-fun. Gee how will this game end? Cloaked people camping a nuclear beacon, or an engineer rush?
  • KeyserKeyser Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13591Members
    There doesn't HAVE to be a commander in order to be a FPS and a RTS. I remember as far back as battlezone, but there were probably more.

BTW, I still play battlezone off and on, one of the best games ever in my opinion.
  • typicalskeletontypicalskeleton Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 14011Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->au contraire, I am the first person to reply to this thread. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Note the use of the word "rarely". =P