Ns_(no name) layout

InZaneFleaArmyInZaneFleaArmy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 18Members
This is the layout that I have decided to use...the other two suck.  The halls(black lines) are 2-5 squares thick (64x64).  The black lines may not look all that great, but the other way would've taken hours.

So...here it is:

edit:The corridors will be full of things(NO CRATES) so the long walks won't seem so long...And I can think of some great fights on the way from DZ to Room 6...

Comments

• InZaneFleaArmyInZaneFleaArmy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 18Members
    The numbers are just for talking about.  Please post comments for my sake.
    I just looked at that pic...let me add....room #8 just has a view of the Hive, no entrances...
  • mr_Nebelmr_Nebel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 36Members
    Ok my thoughts: wheres the commander room gonna be?

Maybe connect room 10 directly hive 3, and room 11 directly to room 6.
    Definately include more vents or "alien only" passages.
  • realityisdeadrealityisdead Employed by Raven Software after making ns_nothing Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 94Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Room 13 is a bit useless, as is # 12. Overall I would suggest condensing everything together more, to minimalize walking through very long corridors. Seems to be well connected though.
    Commander mode is in 13.  It's a security room, computers and stuff.  The reason those two are not connected...The one connecting to Hive 3 would just mean a much shorter way to Hive 3.  The other one would be too far in, and marines could run back around easily.
    I knew I forgot something....room 12 is conencted via a vent to the hallways by Hive 2.  My fault... 11 is there just to keep down the long corridor ways...I thought I'd be nice to have the marines be able to make a small base about halfway to Hive 1, which would make a good place to fall back to.
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    So, where's the command station?  Why go to room 12, 13, or 6?  And I think its a bit difficult to tell with single-pixel wide hallways.  I think it appears a bit blocky, but maybe that's just your drawing.  And I think that there could be more alien passages, like from 6 to 11 or from 3 to 9.  I think that the general layout is fine, but I think a much more detailed layout would be more helpful in forming opinions.

Edit:  I started writing before that rash of replies, but some of what I said is still applicable.
  • realityisdeadrealityisdead Employed by Raven Software after making ns_nothing Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 94Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Ah, makes sense now. I like your idea about Room 11. Though I still doubt the -marines- would have any reason to go into 6 and 12. Good luck, it looks like a good start.
    13-Command Station
    12-Passageway to Hive 2 (Accessible by marines boosting eachother.
    6-Has a panel that opens door in room 8 that makes it accesible to Hive 2, making 3 entrances to the Hive.  Of course, smart Aliens would try and prevent the marines from doing this.

edit: It will NOT be this blocky...This is first version of the map.

edit2:Just noticed what you said at the end...3-9 is connected...guess U didn't notice...the other two you said are now conencted too...that makes sense.
    May I suggest detailing your next version of the layout plan with the kind of information you gave us here (directly on the drawing). Information like room 6 opening a door in 8, 13 being the command, etc...

Seems like you have some really good ideas, but you just need to detail those ideas on the actual plan itself.

So my final suggestion would be to condense the overall layout, give the hallways depth in the drawing, and give descriptions on the layout as I mentioned. Then resubmit the plan and I think you might have something really good.
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin--InZaneFleaArmy+Feb. 08 2002,21:42--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (InZaneFleaArmy @ Feb. 08 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->edit2:Just noticed what you said at the end...3-9 is connected...guess U didn't notice...the other two you said are now conencted too...that makes sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You've got two rooms labeled 3.  I meant the hive room 3, not the other room 3.
    That makes sense too...consider it done...DOD 2.0 rocks if you don't have it yet, get it.  I'm starting to work on the mapping part now...