Posting This Here, Though It's Kinda A Bug Report.

WolfWingsWolfWings NS_Nancy Resurrectionist Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4416Members
<div class="IPBDescription">func_resource needs the model set still.</div> If you don't set the 'model' tag on a func_resource, Natural Selection crashes with an 'Invalid String' error when you try to load the compiled level. This may not be a problem for Hammer users, but for folks using outside tools it might bite you in the rump. :-)

Technically, wouldn't this be a bug, or it an 'undocumented feature' to let us mappers switch the resource nozzles used if we find a need for it?

Comments

• NerdIIINerdIII Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15230Members
    I think all editors support default values and get these directly from the Hammer entity definition file. So this should not be a problem.
  • WolvWolv Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 56Members
    QuArK gets a default value for sure (models/b_resource_nozzle.mdl).

I don't know if you can change it to other model names, just try it out with a copied "models/b_resource_nozzle_test.mdl".
  • WolfWingsWolfWings NS_Nancy Resurrectionist Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4416Members
    Some editors DONT take default key values... Radiant being a prime example. :-) It's based on Quake originally at its core, where a 'null value' was ALWAYS valid, so better to have no keys to start with than the wrong keys was the thinking. Unfortunately, NS needs some keys set, so it breaks this 'tradition' and I thought I'd warn others before they ran into the problem. =^.^=
  • NerdIIINerdIII Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15230Members
    OK, You only know about Hammer and Radiant, I only know about Hammer and QuArK.
    So there is ONLY a problem with QeRadiant! All the Hammerers and QuArKers can sit back and relax.
    (Except of course you mean: Enter no value and the build programs will fill in the default value, that of course is not supported, but I guess you only mean that in Radiant you start with all entities blank.)
  • WolfWingsWolfWings NS_Nancy Resurrectionist Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4416Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--NerdIII+Sep 4 2003, 04:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NerdIII @ Sep 4 2003, 04:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> OK, You only know about Hammer and Radiant, I only know about Hammer and QuArK.
    So there is ONLY a problem with QeRadiant! All the Hammerers and QuArKers can sit back and relax.
    (Except of course you mean: Enter no value and the build programs will fill in the default value, that of course is not supported, but I guess you only mean that in Radiant you start with all entities blank.) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Basically, yeah. I've tried QuArK once or twice, it has the same problems Hammer does compared to Radiant. It tries to do too much for me, brush-construction-wise, which is why I can't stand it.

Radiant can safely edge-edit, vertex-edit, carve, even CSG intersection and union all day long, and it only does the 'fix broken brushes' things like automatically splitting them when you vertex-edit to a non-planar face, etc.

Makes repairing the brush geometry from a map decompiler MUCH easier. =^.^=

Though I still say it should be relatively trivial to make a map decompiler that uses a bit of brainpower. Make all surfaces by default 64 units thick, then clip them against all the faces they colide with, no infinite brushes, and a mostly-clean level. =^.6= Need to work on that more, and see about making the idea a reality...