A Technical Question Regarding Entities

KRaggKRagg Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8832Members
<div class="IPBDescription">requires solid understanding of bsp's</div> Due to the entitiy limit on half-life, I was curious if grouping all seethrough walls into a single entitiy and doing the same with all the windows who share see-throughness has any, and in that case which, effects on VISibility once compiled.

Essentially, if I pile all my entities of one type together into a single entity will it cause the map to be a lot more laggy than if I keep it at one group per room?

Comments

• PlaguebearerPlaguebearer Join Date: 2002-03-21 Member: 338Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Yes, it would be, because it would render =all= of the windows when you could see only one (or, more likely, it would just render all of them all of the time, since they'd be crossing through so many portals); same with any other large entity like that.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    also if your entity is larger that about 320 in any direction it will be rendered from every where on teh map. adding significantly to r_speeds. if you wanna see use gl_wirefame 2 in singleplayer mode
  • EriasErias Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19878Members
    320 in any direction? I had windows that were about 400 units or so wide at one point, and from my gl_wireframe tests I don't remember seeing them rendered all the time. I do know for a fact that <i>some</i> entities are rendered constantly though, although I'm not sure specifically why...

Anyways, like so many things, you have to find a balance between grouping brush entities to keep entity counts down, and breaking them up so too many aren't rendered at a time.