3111x And Ns 2.01x

ScottPOScottPO Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20380Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What's Natural Selections' official word</div> Hey all!
First, an xpression of gratitude for all the hard work the developers have put into Natural Selection. So many people enjoy this game, and, yea, it's great! On to the meat:

When NS 2.0 was released, an .so built especially for 3111 was released. However, each beta patch would not work with 3111. Are the developers going to release a 3111 version with every official release? (assuming 2.01x is not an official release) or is 3111 juyse one of those things you all would rather not deal. I understand if you haven't go the time, but I'd like to know what y'all will do.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    I think the real official version that isn't in beta-ish condition will probably be compiled for HLDS 3.1.1.1d but in the mean time the only server that seems to work for everything is HLDS 3.1.1.0c with boffix patch. I have some set up guides if you'd like to take a gander:

<a href='http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides' target='_blank'>http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides</a>
  • joevjoev Giving grief... With a smile. Join Date: 2002-07-20 Member: 977Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The 2.01d ns_i386.so works for all flavours of HLDS from HLDS 3.1.1.0 upwards.

joev.
  • havenhaven Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8767Members
    I'm running 2.01d using HLDS_3.1.1.1d with few adverse affects. There shouldnt be any problems getting it up and running in 3.1.1.1d on most linux servers from what I have seen although I'm guessing there will be few 3.1.1.1x servers due to other issues i.e. CPU usage.

If you want to see it running on 3.1.1.1d then you are welcome to pop onto my servers and have a look - link is in the sig.

Regards

Haven
  • Jim_has_SkillzJim_has_Skillz Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12475Members, Constellation
    Does the new hlds 3.1.1.1d patch address the cpu issues? If it does I will certainly upgrade but as of now, I find that it uses way too much cpu.
  • SiliconSilicon Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13683Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Jim has Skillz+Sep 3 2003, 12:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jim has Skillz @ Sep 3 2003, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does the new hlds 3.1.1.1d patch address the cpu issues? If it does I will certainly upgrade but as of now, I find that it uses way too much cpu. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the hlds x.x.x.xd series it self is the cause of the cpu issues and not NS.
  • ScottPOScottPO Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20380Members
    Yea, I'm looking at a 3111d and NS 2.01d and the server loads are too high :-( This is a sentiment that has been echod on the hlds_l list for sometime. No doubt, Valve carries a lot of blame. Oh well.
  • Jim_has_SkillzJim_has_Skillz Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12475Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Silicon+Sep 3 2003, 01:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Silicon @ Sep 3 2003, 01:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--Jim has Skillz+Sep 3 2003, 12:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jim has Skillz @ Sep 3 2003, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does the new hlds 3.1.1.1d patch address the cpu issues?  If it does I will certainly upgrade but as of now, I find that it uses way too much cpu. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the hlds x.x.x.xd series it self is the cause of the cpu issues and not NS. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was referring to the lag that hlds creates, not ns.
  • havenhaven Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8767Members
    edited September 2003
    lag and cpu issues are two different problems. Re: CPU usage - no ns 2.01 does ont touch it - 99% of the CPU blame appears to come from the hlds_3.1.1.1x (and also to a significant extent - 3.1.1.0x) binaries being ill optimised - this problem is being seen whilst running cs, dod and other mods as well as NS.

Re lag - this is another issue with the half life engine - there is a technical explanaition on how to minimise it and get the best ping you possibly can (assuming your CPU is not maxed out and being the bottleneck). I reccomend you go read:

<a href='http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:XG9F4hOBIfYJ:www.clanding.org/print.php%3Fsid%3D6+sv_maxupdaterate&hl=en&ie=UTF-8' target='_blank'>http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:XG9F4...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8</a>

If the google cache eventually fails I've a copy of the text above and will happily post it up.

Many people have been screaming for a response on linux CPU usage - I posted a mini article up on my site outlining some of the issues a while ago,
    its light reading but you might want a look: <a href='http://thehavennet.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=89&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1' target='_blank'>HLDS linux vs windows</a> So far valve have not publically commented on the CPU issue to my knowlege and we are all waiting and hoping that they will do something ...

I hope that helps, regards.