Medpack And Ammo Spam

Error404Error404 Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9353Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Better than Heavy Armor?</div> <b>My Personal Style!</b>

I've been commanding quite a few games now on NS 2.0, and I'm going to post my own strategy...

- Build IPs

- Most people object to this, but I build turrets at the marine base. The reason I do this is because it frees my men from defending the base, and they can go out and get kills instead, quickly earning the res back for the cost of the tf and turrets.

- Next I build an armory.

- Next, I take as many res nodes as I can, I usually take two res nodes and turret them up, then any other resource nodes I take I don't bother to protect, they act more like deterents from my other two res nodes, and if these unprotected nodes don't go down then it's a bonus for the team.

- Next comes motion tracking, if I have res to spare I'll also build an armslab.

- I will upgrade Motion Tracking. Motion Tracking is a godsend, because even without upgraded armor and weapons it increases your marines chances of survival, and as soon as they see those blue circles everywhere, it stops them wandering off and getting killed. This is good because it means that the Kharaa won't be getting as many resources from kills.

- I'll try to secure a hive at the same time, as soon as motion tracking has finished researching, securing a hive is easy. Research phasegates after MT.

- I'll keep upgrading weapons in this order, Lvl 1 weapons then Lvl 2 armor, then Lvl 2 weapons, Lvl 2 armor, Lvl 3 weapons. Don't bother buying a prototype lab at this point, just use the money to get the upgrades.

- Upgrade armory as soon as possible.

- About this time, the kharaa will probably have 2 hives up.

- Most commanders frown at the idea of giving heavy weapons to marines without heavy armor, but it's about the same as giving heavy weapons to jetpacked marines.

- Once the armory has been upgraded, drop shotguns, about three grenade launchers, and heavy machine guns with a few welders. REALLY go nuts, you can equip all your team because you aren't spending resources on heavy armour.

- The team will march out together to assault a hive. You should be familiar with the keys that you have bound for medpack and ammo spam. Spamming medpacks and ammo, sounds really lame, but to be honest it's hard to win any other way, unless you want to see your team drop dead really quickly. The medpacks ensure that the Kharaa don't earn any resources from kills, and ensures that your team gets the kills instead.

- the default key for medpack is 'S', and for ammo is 'A' !!

- Most of the time, a competent team will know what to do to get to a hive, and all you have to do is concentrate on spamming medpacks and ammo.

- By the time your team get close to the hive, and they are getting a bit few, then take the nearest resource node, build turrets and a phasegate nearby. Your resource towers may be few now.

- Buy a prototype lab, research heavy armour. Heavy armor is good because it isn't affected by sporecloud (the respirator in the suit, stops any harming your health!).

- Get everyone back at base, drop weapons like mad again! Drop a few welders and a minimum of 3 heavy armor guys. Get everyone through the phasegate again. Drop a heavy armor at base whenever you get the resources. Eventually, more and more of your team will get dressed in heavy.

- If you have enough people rush the hive, otherwise consider seiging it, in NS 2.0 seiging is often the harder option since turrets and seiges go down very easily. Better to medpack spam around the hive and get your team to get inside and shoot it. The range of a shotgun has increased, so you can actually hit the hive from quite a comfortable range.

- Once you have two hives, your resources should be coming in at insane rates. Finish buying any weapon/armor upgrades and just treat your team to the finest to take the final hive!!

<b>The Key Points</b>

Is to get Motion Tracking as early as possible.

Upgrade Weapons and Armor before even thinking about Prototypes. Prototypes should be a fallback plan. Don't even be thinking about Prototypes before you have gotten decent amor/gun upgrades!

Upgrade Armory early on, to hand out weapons as soon as you feel your marines have high enough level armour and weapons upgrades.

Medpack and ammo spam wins the day!!

Comments

• sejsej Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12488Members
    I use HA as a bonus rather than a necessity.

Normally i try to win games with just light armour marines, upgraded to the max v quickly.

HA causes too much stress and whining for equip ment onpubs.
  • J_D_WJ_D_W Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16598Members
    What is the console bind for medpack drop , because it isnt in the list and s doesnt work, a is left strafe.