Serious Onos Problem

2»

Comments

• CronosCronos Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1542Members
    You have got to be kidding me.

In a game last night, the marines were full of randoms and the aliens had a few clanners and the rest being randoms.

Normally, this would = Lose for the marine team.

The map was mineshaft. We had 3 different comms throughout the game. The aliens got three hives, we thought we were doomed. We got a phase at U turn, pushed for the hive near there (forgot the name). In the meantime, they had owned the original marine spawn.

Believing we were now done for, some guys suggested F4'ing.

Most people played on. The comm started teching up. He knew the value of shotguns and issued out welders and shotties when he could. We resisted 3 waves of onii, and we only had 6 or so turrets in U turn. One guy killed 5 Onos in that one match. We pushed to the next hive, and after 15 minutes of battling for it, we took that hive too. We pushed for double res, and got that as well. Finally, we began to pump out some HA. Only when we got HA did any of us get HMG's, and even then, I think there were only 2 HMG's on the team. The rest were shotty/gl'ers, we pushed for their final hive and obliterated the aliens.

Marines CAN win against onii, even 3 hive onii.

Use the map geometry to your advantage. Most NS maps have ramps/inclines, stick on the high ground (relative to the onos) and he should have some trouble getting to you. Shotguns own any melee creature out of the water, especially level 3 shotties and armor. A combination of upgrades and early shotties will keep those onii out of your hair.

Work as a team, dont rambo off, and try to make the best of the equipment your given. Weld often, and warn your team mates if you hear an onos.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    Chronos, what you played was a FLUKE GAME!! Any decent alien team would have umbra/spores/primal scream/heal spray all in your base. Even JUST umbra would have done it. I am SURE Spores would have, considering all of you were LA. If the Aliens had been on their game they would have won. Simple as that.
  • Aries8Aries8 Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10719Members
    How about an onos can only stomp one marine at a time?
  • DiablusDiablus Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15080Members
    edited August 2003
    well ur redempting onos will sonn be screwed over beucase most onos devour the first marine and gore the rest, the real counter to an onos is shotguns and a spread out team, not a train of has, but marines spread out, also stomp can be easily countered by jumping but usually it gets you after the second one, but that gives you a few more shots from your gun that could end up killing it in the end

i find stomp fine the way it is, even as marine i still dont see a problem when i get stomped, one marine at a time? are you crazy!?! do you know how fast onos will drop to a group of shottgunners and heavu armors? it wouldnt be worth wasting 100 resources
  • CronosCronos Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1542Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Stung256+Aug 16 2003, 05:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Stung256 @ Aug 16 2003, 05:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Chronos, what you played was a FLUKE GAME!! Any decent alien team would have umbra/spores/primal scream/heal spray all in your base. Even JUST umbra would have done it. I am SURE Spores would have, considering all of you were LA. If the Aliens had been on their game they would have won. Simple as that. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They were sporing us alright, they also had some good teamwork. We kept the lerks at bay by rushing them. We lost a lot of guys due to onos goring, but the lerks had to continually run away. At one point, they snuck the hive under our nose and had just about besieged us but we came back all thanks to the shotgun.

The shotgun is completely underrated as a weapon. Even in umbra it is VERY effective, it scares lerks and makes onii nervous.

And this is not the first game where 3 hives were reached and marines came back. There have been at least 3 games before this where marines came back from 3 hives. It all depends on not giving up and not turret spamming needlessly.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    erhm, it takes 27 shots from the hmg (1,35 seconds?) to annihilate the onos, what's the problem?
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited August 2003
    Ugh, I knew this would happen. Most of you didn't even read my post. I quote myself:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jetpacks were supposed to be the counter, but they just don't cut it. The problem is that most maps are so small and cramped that a jumping onos can reach the cieling, or the jetpacker runs out of fuel and thrust so fast he hits the ground and dies. The other day I sent 3 jetpack shotgunners out, all good players on a private server, and 1 onos killed them all with no problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If a jetpack shotty team can't kill a single onos with no backup, then what will? Heavy armor sure doesn't cut it, HMGs don't do much of anything, they get stomped then devoured/gored before they can get more than a few shots off. Worse yet, an onos with celerity can run away so you can't even chase him down and take him out.

Another major drawback, jetpacks cost so much res that you literally criple yourself investing in them. Getting jetpacks are like building a TF in base in 1.04, sure your not gonna lose to a skulk rush but it destroys you for the rest of the game.
  • ATIATI Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14492Members
    edited August 2003
    Stomp, its a problem, but not a horrible one all by itself. Generally you have at least a couple of people who don't get stopped by the stomp (somewhat middle sized areas). In this respect maybe making the range of stomp go down is a possibility. On the other hand, a larger problem with me is the stomp, devour a HA and then run off. Now My problem is different than most, the onos takes off an HA, and say you have two HMG's going full blast on the onos. the Onos redeems with the HA still devouring. That I think is unfair. If you did the work to nearly kill an Onos and cause them to redeem, then the onos should spit back the person they are devouring. what do you guys think?