Marine Tactic #10: Public Tried And True

OldManRipper-nCOldManRipper-nC Join Date: 2003-02-23 Member: 13871Members
edited August 2003 in Frontiersmen Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">Holding Territory</div> Clear, concise communication really helps public commanded games. Defining "Squad 1" and "Squad 2" right from the beginning of the round really helps your team's morale. It also gives you a double benefit in that sometimes the squad members actually buddy up with someone else on the server. But I digress...
My build order to date:
1-2 IPs (Depending on Death Toll)
1 Armory
1 TF (No turrets, not yet)
NOTE: Turret Factories are a required Tech Tree item for Building Electrification
Typically, one of my squads ends up considerably larger than my other. Thus, I send my largest squad on a clean sweep of the map... targeting all those gorges and their lovely resource towers. If you do this quickly enough sometimes you can catch them right as they build the nodes and are still vulnerable gorges.
Send your smaller, preferably more reliable, squad out and grab a resource tower. Have them wait while you electrify it and then move them on when it is approximately half-way completed. By this time you will have enough resources for another node. Repeat this process untill you reach a vacant hive. The main key to this strategy is NOT to secure the first hive you reach. If you do, it becomes a Marine defensive battle vs. gorges, onos, and bile bomb... epic battles but usually a loss. Rather, just plop the node, electrify it and move on.
NOTE: Most public server alien teams are fascinated with sensory chambers. They thus assume that a sensory chamber under a building hive is pretty damned secure. Well, that usually means they go nowhere near the hive. Move squad 2 into aforesaid hive and start plopping down turrets. Somewhere inbetween you should have built an Observatory, Arms Lab (make sure you upgrade lvl 1 armor), researched phase tech, and probably electrified the TF at your main base (placing spawn portals between your TF and res nodes, both electrified, means you don't need any turrets at spawn unless you have structures there worth protecting). Once the phase gate is up to the 2nd hive have squad 1 pull off whatever it is they're harassing the aliens at and knock out the hive. At this point you will have secured about 4-5 resource nodes for yourself, denied aliens the ability to bile-bomb, and stuck them (hopefully) with sensory as their only chamber.
From here it is quick and simple tech upgrade and/or shotgun assault on the last hive and a GG.
As for the minimum of one Onos a game... upgrading weapons and an upgraded armory usually means a quick Onos death. If the Onos has redemption just send a shotgun squad to the main hive and wait... that's right... shotgun firing squad coming out of the alleyway shadows... not a new concept here.
Go to it guys, and remember that no strategy is air-tight... hope you have as much fun as I have with this NS mod so far.

-OldManRipper

Comments

• deaths_handdeaths_hand Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12615Members
    pretty good strategy, but this is assuming the aliens are all afk in their hive or what?

tbh on 75% of games most of the aliens will gorge and cap rts, then go skulk and hunt your rts or you + 1-2 dedicated gorges will be defending rts and build hives.

electrigying eahc hive and waiting for it t ohalf complete could easily mean that the aliens have just built 3 rts in that time.

ill try this though, some reason i never electrify rts ^^
  • AndervalAnderval &lt;3 Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16073Members, Constellation
    I look forward to 2.01 when 'elec rt rushes' will really come into their own, letting marines expand almost as quickly as the aliens, as it is now although this is a solid strat at 50res a pop for elec rt and a longish wait for the upgrade will mean expansion will be that much harder so you need to make sure that 2nd hive doesn't go up or you will have bile-bombing adren gorges all over your lovley shiny rts.
  • TiaxTiax Join Date: 2003-05-28 Member: 16802Members
    Your strategy sounds great but im wondering what you plan to do when the skulks attack your base? Or is there a third squad you didn't mention?