Server Crash And Not Letting Players Join (linux)

D4rkehD4rkeh Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19372Members, Constellation
Hi,

the error message is as follows: L 08/09/2003 - 14:38:08: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): MESSAGE_END called, but message buffer from .dll had overflowed

i don't know all the specs for the server box that it is run on but i do know that it is running Redhat 8 and on hlds_l 3.1.1.0.c

this same server box currently runs 3 ahl servers just fine and also a bf1942 server on the t1

any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    When does this crash occur? Right at startup, or after some longer period of time?
  • D4rkehD4rkeh Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19372Members, Constellation
    right before the screen brightens so before startup

no map loads the server just crashes and anyone attempting to join times out
  • verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--[GuS]Viper+Aug 10 2003, 09:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([GuS]Viper @ Aug 10 2003, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->right before the screen brightens so before startup<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    screen brightens?

Is your MOTD larger than 192 bytes?
    we don't have a motd right now and i ment the gamma

no one can join and no map will load

sorry i've never ever ran a server
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yeah, it sounds like your motd.txt might be too long. Try deleting most of the contents of it, or perhaps deleting it entirely (motd will work like other mods in 2.1).
    thanks for your help flayra and verbose

i just remembered that the MOTD for the ahl servers is quite long and i think the person who runs the servers for us may have accidentally loaded it on the ns server

i'll tell him to try that next time once we get things straightened out.
  • JeephaJeepha Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9282Members
    edited August 2003
    SAME THING JUST HAPPENDED TO ME!

My MOTD:

"MOTD: Welcome to Natural Selection. Enjoy yourself!"

Is that too long?

Everytime someone tries to join it says: (replace jeepha with the player's name and WONID with thier real wonid)

"Jeepha<3><WONID><none>" entered the game
    [ADMIN] Executing command: sv_maxrate 4608
    [ADMIN] Executing command: sv_minrate 4608
    [ADMIN] Rate change: 0 users, 0 local users, 0 bots, computed rate 4608
    "Jeepha<3><WONID><none>" disconnected

Whenever you try to join it says your memory is corrupted and if you keep trying to j oin yo umay be banned from hl servers......

WTH!
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--Jeepha+Aug 16 2003, 11:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jeepha @ Aug 16 2003, 11:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Whenever you try to join it says your memory is corrupted and if you keep trying to j oin yo umay be banned from hl servers......

WTH! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    in liblist.gam set secure 0