"hive Sight" Given To Marines

MagiTekMagiTek Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5057Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Is this working as intended?</div> I love the new minimap, I really do. Marine grouping seems to have greatly increased since 1.04, and I think that's partially thanks to the map letting people know where their teammates are. However, I've noticed one side-effect of the minimap undermines the general tactics of the skulk and gives the marines an undue advantage.

The marine minimap functions in the same way as alien hivesight did in 1.04. If an alien is visible to one marine, its position is relayed to all marines' maps regardless of whether or not the alien is actually noticed. I've seen several cases where a skulk has picked a rather ingenious ambush spot and waited for my squad to pass, yet was blown away a second later because a teammate or I noticed the red blip on the minimap. It's no longer important to check corners and nooks, since the map instantly pinpoints any alien presence.

Perhaps it would be better if aliens only showed up on the map once attacked? It's safe to assume that a hidden alien will be shot the moment it's discovered, and thus each marine would still need to rely on his eyes to thwart ambushes.

Comments

• TyrainTyrain Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11746Members
    Ahh yeah. I had the same situation. My squad moved to southloop (6 ppl) and one skulk was sitting in a dark corner. No one noticed him but than I saw that one little red thingy on the map and killed him. I think thats not what flayra wanted.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    ya I really don't think it's doing that hot. I agree that once you damage it that then it will appear and maybe will only show up to those that can physically see the skulk, so then you won't see it if you are on the other side of the wall....
  • GoldenShadowGoldenShadow Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 483Members
    i don't think cloaked aliens show up on the minimap. so get cloaking instead of scent of fear.
  • SpazmaticSpazmatic Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16184Members
    Does someone want to test this for me? (Or I'll test this myself, but I think others may be interested, and I don't have time to play for a while.) If a skulk is on the roof above a marine, which is displayed on top? If a marine is above a skulk (somehow)?