Are Walls-of-lame Still Effective?

2»

Comments

• BeastBeast Armonkyi Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15731Members, Constellation
    I prefer towers to walls. They somehow seem to do a better job O_o
  • ArsoNArsoN Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17177Members
    Another tip for would-be-WoL'ers, don't place your DCs/SCs/MCs right behind your OCs, try and put them around the corner, or on the other side of the corridor, even on the other side of a wall if they'll still reach. With marines firing at OCs, it'll unclock the other chambers behind when they get hit too, which means they'll take them out. I've quite often put my other chambers out of the way and had them survive, with the OCs being obliterated, makes for handy outposts.
  • AposApos Join Date: 2003-06-14 Member: 17369Members, Constellation
    I love gorging in 2.0 : the SC/OC trick is priceless, and the gorge is an all around powerhouse in 2.0: I may not feel safe unprotected, but I finally feel like I can take on vanilla marines with spit (or even "heal" spray up close) if needed, and have a pretty good chance of survival. Being the team's structure killer makes me very useful on the front lines as well: not only do I do double damage to structures, but unlike the onos I can pick off turret farms safely. Webbing is great, but often it doesn't show up until grenade launchers are shooting all over the map, greatly disabling it's effectiveness: it comes far too late to make it effective in securing hives.

WOLs give me mixed feelings. I DON'T think they are necessarily any more effective than well spaced and cloaked OCs in the halls, especially when the rines have GLs. They might do better against mutliple rines at coming once, but if the main usage is slowdown, the cloaked trail of OCs seems to work better.

However, there is one thing the WOL is especially good at: demoralizing the rines. It's a way of showing off the res you have to burn, and making them feel like the map is swarming with alien occupation. Scared marines move more slowly, and are less likely to obey waypoints or move out without major backup. Paniky marines also waste time begging the comm for equipment, or trying to argue with each other about strategy.

I also agree that OC + lerk with umbra is almost unstoppable against non-GL/JP equiped marines: you can totally deny them a particular hall for a long long time. However, it's a pricey strategy: worst case scenario: 10 res for someone to go gorge, 30 res for a WOL, 30 res for the lerk, plus the need to have a second hive up and any other chambers you want protecting the WOL (sense or def)
  • ZeoZeo Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13224Members
    I had res to burn at one point and put up my first and only wall of lame. However I recieved such abuse from my onii, being unable to pass through, that I doubt I'll do it again. I mean we did have Movement chambers up, god knows why they weren't being used more.

Also SCs thrown in with your lame is doubly effective at the moment, cause Comms just ain't scanning like they should be. Observatories are your friends comms. I hope this will be learnt in time.