A Little Piece Of Something

manahmanah Creator of ns_caged Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 60Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
This was the beginning of the backstory to a map I began to make, the map will probably never see the light of day now but I might expand this into a short NS story. It’s all a bit rough, but here ... have a spy:

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
“I’m telling you, I’m getting seriously sick of spending my afternoons knee deep in sh*t!” Kletzkys voice echoed, bouncing off the dirt and rust encrusted walls of the large sewage flow pipe and took on a discernible metallic tinge before it reached the ears of his co-worker, Max.

“Yeah? And I’m getting seriously sick of your damn whinging,” Max muttered under his breath while viciously skewering a large, double tailed, slightly fluorescent rat and almost absent mindedly flicking its rigid corpse into a sack on the back of an automated maintenance drone which hovered tenderly next to him.

Max stopped to stare at the drone for a second as it bobbed and wavered, seemingly struggling to stay in the air, its various protrusions, mandibles and fins cut swathes of pure light out of the dust clogged haze filtering down from the single light hanging above them.  The array of propulsion devices on its smooth, curved underbelly disrupted the stagnant water causing a series of gentle eddies while its front and rear stabilising thruster’s small, meticulously timed bursts threw chunks of foul smelling, sticky, scummy foam into tall, gently but rapidly expanding whorls.

Max’s eye tracked one piece of off coloured yellow-brown foam as it leapt into the air and began to circle an imaginary point, its orbit growing gradually higher, steeper and further until its energy seemed to fade, its engines stutter and stop before it plummeted back down to the waters surface and merged once more with the larger foam mass.

He frowned and lashed out at the foam cutting it in two and sending hundreds of little pieces cascading into the dusty gloom.  He turned and plodded up the pipe toward Kletzky, lashing out at any patches of foam that drifted in front of him.  The drone hummed quietly, made a few low mechanical clicking sounds then turned and followed, rhythmically bobbing up and down as it progressed.
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments