Would A Plugin Like This Be Possible?

TeiohTeioh Canadia Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9453Members, Constellation
edited June 2003 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Cost of equip depends on # of res nodes?</div> I have seen, on some maps more than other that the marines will move into a hive with only 1 entrance and d it up to hell and stay there sucking off of the 1 res node until they have full equip/upgraded marines and then move out. Meanwhile the aliens have every node but that one, have more resources than they can possibly use yet they can't get through the constant gren/hmg spamming. Since aliens have no structures to attack through walls, the marines inch their way little by little until the hives are dead. The game can go on for ours but the outcome is generally marines. What I want is a plugin or module which would make the price of equip dependant on the number of res nodes you have or specific res nodes. Let's say you are in a hive with only 1 entrance and the onle res you have is from the one in the hive, would it be possible to make hmg + gren launchers cost 100+ resources and then make res nodes cost maybe 2? Then you could make prices go back to normal with a set amount of nodes. This would tempt rines to move to more alien friendly areas... Of course you would need to set when this would kick in such as when there is only 1 res node on a certain place (such as 1 entrance hive locations).

Comments

• im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    I don't think that would help much. I have seen a game before where the marines were stuck in generator hive on bast. With no rt's, they held out for a long time. They didn't even have gl's or hmg's for the beginning of holding out there. It was a lan game, so I could hear when they were saying, "I'm handing out an hmg, don't lose it." My point is, marines with one res nozzle and a lot more expensive equipment can't be worse off than what I saw, so the game would still drag on.
  • KharnyKharny Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15409Members
    wont matter in 1.1 - guns wont be dropped. Marines like that will die.
  • RPGreg2600RPGreg2600 Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14578Members
    What do you mean guns won't be dropped? That's bull ****. I swear, I'm seriously begining to doubt that I'll be playing 1.1.
  • ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
    this is the most wacky counter-intutitive balance idea ever. this would just confuse the hell out of players. you gotta find a way to balance things which makes common sense.
  • Shifty_PowersShifty_Powers Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11298Members
    i also dont like that when you die you dont drop your weapon.
    oh well when 1.1 comes out we'll see what happens
  • Brave_UlyssesBrave_Ulysses Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15922Members
    Some of my most fun moments have happened when someone dropped a gun. Like when I accidentally picked up a shottie a marine had dropped upon dying. It had ONE round left in it. I opened a door only to come face-to-face with a lerk. Immediately I let off with my shottie and killed it. With my only round! Had I missed or only wounded it I would have died. Talk about your close encounters!

And in World War days people would go around in pairs due to lack of weapons. When one man died and dropped his rifle another would pick it up. Makes sense in NS with expensive equipment like HMGs or GLs.
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited June 2003
    Eh.

Give it a break about dropping the weapons. It works !

It's great !

No more last ditch efforts of marines sitting in their base using the same couple weapons throughout the whole game.

Doesn't that make sense ? Just like any RTS, you can't reclaim a higher tier unit by running a weaker one to where it died can you ?

Keep in mind, NS is an RTS too.

Keep in mind. Weapons are cheaper, you'll see them more often, thus making not dropping weapons a large deal.