Ob/ Lmg Rush

Trojan2Trojan2 Join Date: 2003-01-14 Member: 12290Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Worked for me?!?</div> Last nite I tried a tactic that worked suprisingly well. After sevral dry JP/HMG rush wins I comandeered the com chair from my friend and threw down a IP and an OB. I told half the team to stay around base (aliens were agressivly trying to rush us) and sent the other half out on a "great gorge hunt". I imediatly upgraded to motion. Pretty early in the game I also droped a resnode, ammo point and another IP (in that order). Oh yeah, the map was eclipse and teams were 9 on 9 with both sides haveing a good mix of vets, ok players and morons.
Anyways. As soon as motion came up I directed my fire team to the gorge and they propty assinated him and killed a res node. After that I sent them into the hive. On the way they were ambushed sevral times but only lost 2 on the way to the hive. Figureing they would do much worse I droped mines for the base and sent forward 2 of my defenders. By the time they entered Eclipse they were back up to 4 with 2 on the way. A short lock down ensued and the hive was quickly LMGed apart. Motion allowed for me to vecter my strike team straight to the gorge early on before he had a chance to lay D towers and before there single res tower could help them. It allso allowed my team to take apart ambushes and for me to lend support back at the base when it was only one guy guarding. Whenever I saw a alien aproach I would hop out of the com and help.
worked pretty well for me any one else use it?

Comments

• SpazmaticSpazmatic Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16184Members
    In 9 on 9 games, if your marines can shoot at all, just drop a bunch of IPs, gg. Spawn advantage eats the poor skulks alive.

If you REALLY want to be safe, drop an armoury too, and mine up the ips. But, really, 9 on 9 is very silly. Res model is SO not balanced for those numbers.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    if you could do it well on a 6 on 6, then kudos to you. 9 on 9 isn't that great of a testing environment. Personally I would just wait till most of the alien team is dead, then send all of my marines to their hive and start camping.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    Yea, I find that once it gets to 8 people or more, the marines have a RIDICULOUS advantage. Resources are just....insane. The only thing to counter that is really smart skulks, taking out nodes in groups of 3 or 4, but even that cant really be done if you mine up the RTs and other key parts of the map.
  • GargamelGargamel Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11773Members
    yes 9v9 the gorge waits about a year till he can build the first resnode while marines get multiplied res. Skulks early on are very very weak without carapace so its sometimes weird why marines arent just attacking the aliens instead of making picknick at res nodes. Anyway some good skulks wouldnt have let this hive rush happen...
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    early motion can be a very good thing if your team is good enough
  • clamatiusclamatius Join Date: 2003-03-27 Member: 14948Members, Constellation
    There's also a less time/res intensive version of this where you don't get MT, just build the obs, rush the hive and have the comm tell the marines exactly where all the skulks are on the way in over voice comm so the marines are already aiming at the skulks when they turn a corner. I seem to recall hearing syn used to do that a lot.
  • Brave_UlyssesBrave_Ulysses Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15922Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--clamatius+Jun 11 2003, 05:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (clamatius @ Jun 11 2003, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There's also a less time/res intensive version of this where you don't get MT, just build the obs, rush the hive and have the comm tell the marines exactly where all the skulks are on the way in over voice comm so the marines are already aiming at the skulks when they turn a corner. I seem to recall hearing syn used to do that a lot. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A good tactic if you have a quick & reactive comm.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    I've done that a few times; it only really works in a clan setting. If your team doesn't listen to you almost instantly you've lost.

Also, when I am doing it, I usually have one rine gorge hunt, like the first fellow said. That way there are 4 guys who know EXACTLY where everyone is, one who kills a defensless gorge, and another defending/building RT. If you can multitask all that and spam health/ammo, this tactic is extremely lethal even against a skilled alien team.