Playtesters, Re Alien Res

n00by_doon00by_doo Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12534Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...on pubs for late joining aliens</div> As you playtest 1.1 can you simulate a real pub scenario for us: late joining aliens.

Currently I'd imagine you probably all join the game each round at the beginning, during or near to the game-start pings, and hence all aliens receive the start res (i.e., you're fairly organised).

On pubs however there is often a lot of faffing around at the beginning, and high player turnover. This results in many aliens joining too late to recieve the free starter res. I'm a little worried that the new res system will punish this too heavily.

Can the PTs deliberately test out how big a difference it makes to have, say, 4v4 players join at the beginning and then an extra 5v5 (say) players join later, after the free res time has expired? I'm assuming the builds still award starter res here of course.

Comments

• ImmacolataImmacolata Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2140Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Well all ya gotta do as an alium is to munch a few rine buttocks and you're knee deep in res. Well ok maybe not knee deep. But you can get an income right away if you get munching.
  • napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    well the current res system doesn't compensate for you joining late in the game.. why should the new one?

in my experience res only goes up slow if you sit watching it.. after you get going in the game, you won't notice it for a while. (a nice way to reserve res in 1.04 is just get carapace, and not a movement upgrade assuming u have 2 hives.. saves 2 res every spawn)... simple but sensible method in my opinion
  • kroxigorkroxigor Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12808Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--shanks+Jun 3 2003, 06:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (shanks @ Jun 3 2003, 06:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well the current res system doesn't compensate for you joining late in the game.. why should the new one?

in my experience res only goes up slow if you sit watching it.. after you get going in the game, you won't notice it for a while. (a nice way to reserve res in 1.04 is just get carapace, and not a movement upgrade assuming u have 2 hives.. saves 2 res every spawn)... simple but sensible method in my opinion <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thing about this in 1.04 is two hives is basicly GG unless your morons(sorry!). You shouldn't die to much in 1.04 with two hives and both upgrades.

As for 1.1, if you join in late with res hurting you just pwninate the marines. Lerk is 30, Fade is 75, and Onos is 100. Not like starting with 25 res is really going to help this by that much. Alien is overpowered IMO right now and people who join really late go onos in about 3minutes.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    What build are YOU playing, cinderous? I've sat for almost a full N game, Skulking with no upgrades, and still didn't make enough to go Onos. I only see one or two per level at *most*, even with the initial RP boost. And J was even slower on the res. Perhaps if Suckling were still in, I could understand... but as it is now, you get to Fade *maybe* once in a round. :b
  • Hida_TsuzuaHida_Tsuzua Lamarck&#39;s Heir Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 79Members, NS1 Playtester
    PTs sometime join later and some people join quickly while others still want to talk about the former. The biggest problem of joining late is that at first you lack rp to get the upgrades. Skulking for kills however does help somewhat.
  • napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--cinderous+Jun 3 2003, 06:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cinderous @ Jun 3 2003, 06:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The thing about this in 1.04 is two hives is basicly GG unless your morons(sorry!). You shouldn't die to much in 1.04 with two hives and both upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't fight against fully teched marines often do you?

Level 3 LMG + a pistol clip can down a fade... and if it doesn't, the knife will easily. Against fully teched marines, never pick a fight with more than 2.. or you die. simple lol. (assuming you don't have a lerk with you for umbra lovin)
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--shanks+Jun 3 2003, 08:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (shanks @ Jun 3 2003, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--cinderous+Jun 3 2003, 06:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cinderous @ Jun 3 2003, 06:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The thing about this in 1.04 is two hives is basicly GG unless your morons(sorry!). You shouldn't die to much in 1.04 with two hives and both upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't fight against fully teched marines often do you?

Level 3 LMG + a pistol clip can down a fade... and if it doesn't, the knife will easily. Against fully teched marines, never pick a fight with more than 2.. or you die. simple lol. (assuming you don't have a lerk with you for umbra lovin) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the kind of games cinderous plays in.. if the marines are fully teched then its bad news... Normally, however, we never see such a thing happen.