Limit In Texture Memory

SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
<div class="IPBDescription">just a quick question</div> Hi guys.
While playing around with some textures I noticed the following line in the mapping guidelines:

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
~4MB maximum texture memory usage (all texture memory used, not just the amount stored in the BSP as TEXINFO)
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I remeber right Half Life has an hard coded Texture Limit of 4MB anyway and the compiler will give you an Error if You Use too many Textures, but I'm not sure.
Is it that, as long as the compiler doesn't give out an error, it's ok?
Or is it more complicated? (And where can I see exactly how much texture memory my map uses and so on?)

Thx for your help

Solaris / Sonja

Comments

• amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    u can include upto 8096KB (about 8 megs rounded) of tex data in the bsp file with zhlt (and custom builds)

with q tools (the ones that come with wc/hammer) can only handel 2096 (2 megs rounded)

the best way to find out how to include extra tex data, and all that niftty stuff is to use a front end compiler (and a bit quicker as well) i use nems batch complile <a href='http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Nemesis/' target='_blank'>http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Nemesis/</a>

ok, to find out how much tex data you have is to look at the csg section, it will have 3 sections with the 10...20....30 then after that it will have some info, such as the total compile time, and textuer data at (xx.x of 4 megs max) - thats what you want to know

i personaly recomend that when u get the gui, that you set it up to chart, and estaimte (chart tells how much of the map rescoues are full) estimate tells you how much time it will take to compile that part of the map (better then the 10...20...30)

amckern
  • ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The 4MB limit is only if you want you map to be OFFICIAL (ie distributed with future releases of NS). As amckern says their are compile tools that can handle more, howerver Half-Life's software mode cannot. I believe Flayra still hopes to make NS software mode compatible at some point, so we are stuck with a 4MB limit in OFFICIAL maps.
  • NerdIIINerdIII Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15230Members
    And I heard months ago that Flayra gave it up. Hmm. I would not miss software mode anyway. No GUI, only 4 MB of textures, poor special effects, texchop of 240 units only. If valve updated the software renderer somehow it would be ok, but atm I really wonder who the guys are that play in software mode... maybe some of them can tell me about the er...benefits. Hello? Is here someone without 3D accelerator?
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    what's 3D accelerator?
    have i missed something?
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    pplz that are dueced into geting sis 3d chip sets have to use software

when i useed software - only benfits i saw where the ablity to get better fps then the voodoo3 in that computer now, and no black around the sniper in cs

This is my net pc, and not my gaming one

amckern