Structure Placement

KazyrasKazyras Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9722Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The zero clutter way.</div> I've had this occur one time too many: a skulk manages to sneak into the base and kill a couple of marines and take down a structure by just constantly running/dancing around and generally being a pain in the ****. Marine structures seem to be magnetic bullet sponges, so I figured, hey, let's just build structures as FAR away from each other as possible!

It works extremely well.

The idea behind this is to give ZERO cover for skulks who manage to sneak in and keep all structures within line of sight of each other so they will be easily defendable by even just 1 marine. In practice, this translates into building stuff in corners. A skulk who wants to destroy a structure will NOT be able to put it between himself and a marine so he should be easily killed. A skulk who just wants to rush in and kill marines, then possibly the IPs will also find no cover whatsoever and should also be dealt with swiftly. This also cuts down the amount of mines necessary to cover a single structure, though I do prefer guarded mine walls (see my topic on it.)

Another good thing to do is to place the armory far away from the IPs. This promotes (read: forces) travelling and gives you cheap mini patrolling that helps prevent skulks from sneaking in and killing all armory humpers. I think placing IPs so spawners cover 1 entrance to your base and placing the amory so the humpers cover another is good practice.

Comments

• tseepratseepra Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10530Members
    Usually when I place my stuctures, I think of how easy it will be to protect then. And I have come to the conclusion, that they should be very close to each other and up next to a wall. Because they are easy to mine, and you always know where a skulk is if he attacks. Anothe good tactic is to put the taller structures behind the shorter ones.
  • Brave_UlyssesBrave_Ulysses Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15922Members
    Not just skulks - I find most comms place structures in such a haphazard way that as a marine I feel as though I have to negotiate an obstacle course just to move away from my spawning point. I can understand that in such a rushed game no-one cares about making your base look pretty like in SimCity or something, but I don't like having to jump off walls and over other objects just to get some ammo. I realise this reduces ammohumping, but seriously it also reduces marine efficiency.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    Just be wary; some structures when placed too close to certain things (mines are a big culprit) will not upgrade correctly. Leave at least a little room between walls/structs and other structs.
  • UntitledUntitled Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13348Members
    edited May 2003
    OMG, yes! brilliant! Finally I met some one who puts some logic in base placement!

I too, agree with you. Buildings too close together make it easy for pestering skulks to hide behind and dodge bullets from. Open areas are where marines have the advantage, wherein Claustraphobia is a skulks best friend.
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    From day 1 I have been planning my structure placement (yes, I am anal), and I get very irritated at COM's who make a mess out of Base (making a base out of Mess on the other hand gets my support).

Some guidelines I go by:

- Structures against walls or in corners
    - IP's far away from eachother
    - Create an easy, short, open and logical "road" from IP--->Armory--->Phase Gate

The IP thing is important, I've seen COM's drop 3 IP's in a "cluster" so that one skulk can easily camp them all. Either put them far enough away that a Marine spawning in one can kill a skulk chomping on the other or out of sight of eachother.

Ps. I tend to hide structures that have no direct use.
  • GeronimoGeronimo Join Date: 2002-12-18 Member: 11056Members
    I have ocme to the conclusion that buildingplacemnet does nothing in the long run...

If the aliens can come in and actually eat on structures, sooner or later youre sold, since handing out welders that costs res and time to keep the base whole is not good...

Keeping structures togheter is what I usually do, to be able to mines all of them at the same time...I usually put phases outside the cluster, and two IPs on the side...

Just make sure you mine the base alot, no matter where....
  • Brave_UlyssesBrave_Ulysses Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15922Members
    I don't agree - I've lost count of how many times I have died and lost marines because a comm has placed IPs against walls or other structures. You need SOME space to leap back immediately on spawning when you have fades twatting your IP or skulks eating them with marinara sauce.
  • FrostyFrosty Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15667Members
    I find a strait solid line against a wall works handily, they cant get behind the buildings becuast theres a wall, cant get beside em cus theres another building, spawns at the far ends if at all posible (with another hidin spawn somewere esle), with a dashed line of turits paralels to it. The turits can be put in a little on the jagged side if you want to help out a bit. Mine a bit around the pg and your good to go
  • r3dsk4r3r3dsk4r3 Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16257Members
    i like putting stuff in the corners, it keeps skulks from circle strafing and *if* you do it correctly they can't use them for cover. however, it ends there. structures need to placed with room in between them. no matter how tightly you think you have your prototype lab smashed up against the arms lab somone is going to get in between them and make you sorry.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What gets me is people putting the armoury down at what later becomes the BACK of the bse (when further upgrade structures are built). Please THINK about where you're going to put the structures you haven't built yet.

On a slightly different note, try not to place structures in view of doorways... The number of times I've lerked to take down an obs or armoury from afar is quite obscene, and it leaves the marines at a distinct disadvantage!