A "ringer" Is A Bad Thing

MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
When did the term "Ringer" lose it's negative connotation? Dictionary.com list's ringer as:
<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ring·er2    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rngr) n.
1) One that rings, especially one that sounds a bell or chime.
<b>2)Slang. A contestant entered dishonestly into a competition.</b>
3)Slang. One who bears a striking resemblance to another: a ringer for his father.
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have recently seen it often used to describe what was previously called "substituting". What gives?

Comments

• KhaimKhaim Join Date: 2002-06-28 Member: 841Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    isnt this a tad off topic for the general forum..?
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Gen... How do you get the idea of this being General Discussion?
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited May 2003
    Nonono ringers <i>are</i> bad.

Ringers are against rules in official matches.

But in scrims where it is just practice, it's alright to get a ringer if you are short, as it is just practice...
  • SycophantSycophant Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7092Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--MMZ>Torak+May 2 2003, 11:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MMZ>Torak @ May 2 2003, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> When did the term "Ringer" lose it's negative connotation? Dictionary.com list's ringer as:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ring·er2    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rngr) n.
    1) One that rings, especially one that sounds a bell or chime.
    <b>2)Slang. A contestant entered dishonestly into a competition.</b>
    3)Slang. One who bears a striking resemblance to another: a ringer for his father.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have recently seen it often used to describe what was previously called "substituting". What gives? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've always thought the term was used to describe a very good player who simply replaces someone else temporarily.

I've seen it used a lot in pool leagues - a 'ringer' is usually a very good player who is invited to play for a team if a player on that team doesn't show up for his game(s). It's not exactly a dishonest thing in that case, as the players aren't paired for their games until all team rosters are filled for that night.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    Perhaps when one is substituting, it is meant in the third part of the definition, as you are meant to take someone's place and for all intents and purposes be them.
  • Relic25Relic25 Pixel Punk Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 39Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    It's still a negative term, depending on context. Saying, "The new guy on their team is a ringer." casts a negative light on the stated team, as it implies that they brought on the ringer for an uunfair advantage, but it is a compliment to the ringer himself.
  • CowswinCowswin Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14623Banned, Constellation
    If you haven't noticed, half our gamer terms don't carry over exactly to any dictionary definition. It's pretty much it's own separate language.

In my experience, ringer just means someone playing for someone else that couldn't be there. Whether that person is better or not had nothing to do with the whole "ringer is illegal substitution".

Happens in DoD all the time.
  • GWARGWAR Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2297Members, Contributor
    In my early days of TFC, We stomped one clan [Ops] I think. They left halfway through the match accusing half of our clan of "Ringing" Especially me.

I have no clue why, I have only been in one clan....

The concept behind a Ringer must be lost to them... the same way SPAM was...
  • RionRion Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7752Members
    I think in the terms you guys are talking about it created itself a new slang.. as ing, "give this guy a ringer and he can play" as in call him, to let him know.
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    Ringers are only bad when people "recruit" a guy for a match so they can win. I've been a ringer a couple times in scrims and no one ever seems to care, because after all, it's just a scrim.