How Does This Layout Look?

SmurfSmurf Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9351Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Come take a look...</div> Decided I might as well try and make my first real Natural Selection map, so I drew out a quick layout attached below, tried to design with the three hives forming a triangle, marine start in the middle. Big red circles = hive, grey circles = resource node and the single blue circle is the command chair. Tell me what ya think of it.

Comments

• JammerJammer Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 728Members, Constellation
    Looks good, but it needs vents badly. Way to hard for aliens to sneak around without any.
  • gagglegaggle Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10568Members
    I like the visual part of the layout, it's nicely precise and easy to read.

Can't help but notice that the route to, say, the top-left hive seems pretty simple. Well.. right hive as well. Build on it some more, it seems like a pretty damned good start.
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    Well, the route to hives on, say, Eclipse are pretty direct, too, they're just long enough that it's ok. My biggest concern is the large number of really long thin hallways - especially the horizontal one leading to the upper right hive, but there are a number of them in that layout - which not only risk being visually boring and repetitive, but one marine at the end with a pistol would make it a deathtrap for skulks, unless you have some really obtrusive pipes for them to crawl on safely, or lots of vents, or something.
  • SmurfSmurf Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9351Members
    edited April 2003
    As for vents, I'm not done the layout for them yet, but the plan as of now is to have a nancy type vent system, so its going to be extremly complex. Looking at the path to the top left hive I do see its very simple and most likely the shortest route, so I'll change that. As to the long hallways, there a few long/narrow ones which might change, even if they don't there is going to be a bunch of hiding spots and plenty of ceiling detail to hide in, so Skulks will not only have to be good, but they'll have to be smart too. There is one fairly straight long hallway (goes from the bottom up to about the middle) that is a transport tunnel, designed for huge trains to transport goods from the landing bay(large squarish room at the very bottom) through the outpost, which depending on how well it works with ns, might even have a working train. This tunnel has to be straight for realism, as you wouldn't want a train having to wind its way around.