New Games And Old Games

edge_eblanedge_eblan Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10161Members
alright, random question, ive played many games throughout my life, starting with 8-bit mario, to well... whatever the hell they use for modern games, and i noticed that lots of new games that get the high rankings arent really all that good, except maybe in concept or eye candy, like Black and White. I dont like new games over old, or old games over new, because i like ut2k3 over doom, but i like doom, and i like Tiberium Dawn over Tiberium Sun, and Red Alert 1 over Red Alert 2, and i like Chrono Trigger over Chrono Cross, I like the Final Fantasy series over many newer linear rpgs, but i like free form rpgs like Morrowind.

so what games do you like?

ok, so the topic "new games VS. old games" would have been a bad topic name, (the original name), as the question is not "do you like new games more than old games?" but "what games do you like?"

Comments

• hellokittyhellokitty riotkitty Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15348Members
    yeah sure i like the newer games...and i also have my favorite oldies too. i have favorites from the newer and older games out there. so i don't really stand on one side.

my favorite games? i like horror rpgs, action, rpgs, 3d fighting games, ns. ns is the only pc game i play, team fortress was the only other. "MEDIC!"

i'll list a few to give a better idea of what i like:

silent hill
    resident evil series
    final fantasy series... (playing I and II right now)
    parasite eve/ pe2
    devil may cry
    tekken tag
    soul calibur 2
    chrono trigger
    secret of mana
    ggxx
    fear effect
    super smash bros. melee

see? ...i like all kinds.
  • edge_eblanedge_eblan Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10161Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--hellokitty+Apr 18 2003, 12:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (hellokitty @ Apr 18 2003, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> yeah sure i like the newer games...and i also have my favorite oldies too. i have favorites from the newer and older games out there. so i don't really stand on one side.

my favorite games? i like horror rpgs, action, rpgs, 3d fighting games, ns. ns is the only pc game i play, team fortress was the only other. "MEDIC!"

i'll list a few to give a better idea of what i like:

silent hill
    resident evil series
    final fantasy series... (playing I and II right now)
    parasite eve/ pe2
    devil may cry
    tekken tag
    soul calibur 2
    chrono trigger
    secret of mana
    ggxx
    fear effect
    super smash bros. melee

see? ...i like all kinds. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i have played i few of those.

silent hill: not played
    resident evil series: not played
    final fantasy series: played as many as there are, id imagine Origins? i have the original ff1
    pe: not played 1, but beat 2, fun game
    Chrono Trigger: great game
    fear effect: have it, but havent really played it
    super smash bors. melee: played it, like it

yeah, all games are good, but i dont like it how some people assume jk1 is better than doom because its newer, but its not (this is a bad example, but to prove my point).
  • Speed_2_DaveSpeed_2_Dave Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8788Members
    almost every game I've played where they focus mainly on graphics (outside of HL) makes the game a brief interlude for me from my mainstays. MOO:2, for example, is about 20 times better than MOO:3, even though MOO3 is supposedly "more advanced."

Another prime example would be what's happening to the Final Fantasy Series, it seems to be geared towards the ADD kids these days. Bigger is not always better.

If you're looking for a good RPG that doesn't have outstanding graphics, but makes up for it in gameplay, plot, and many many many other things, try this website <a href='http://www.spidweb.com/' target='_blank'>Spiderweb Software. Who am I kidding, this is an OUTWAR LINK!</a>
    <!--QuoteBegin--Speed 2 Dave+Apr 18 2003, 12:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Speed 2 Dave @ Apr 18 2003, 12:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> almost every game I've played where they focus mainly on graphics (outside of HL) makes the game a brief interlude for me from my mainstays. MOO:2, for example, is about 20 times better than MOO:3, even though MOO3 is supposedly "more advanced."

Another prime example would be what's happening to the Final Fantasy Series, it seems to be geared towards the ADD kids these days. Bigger is not always better.

If you're looking for a good RPG that doesn't have outstanding graphics, but makes up for it in gameplay, plot, and many many many other things, try this website <a href='http://www.spidweb.com/' target='_blank'>Spiderweb Software. Who am I kidding, this is an OUTWAR LINK!</a> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    have you played snes ffs and ps1 ffs and nes ffs? they really good, play 9, 7 and below, those are better. havent tried moo3, but i have moo2, moo2 is ok, slow in multiplayer tho
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I thought you didnt mean Final Fantasy when you were using ffs, that does mean something else. Iee. I was about to tell you to calm down...
    edited April 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Sirus+Apr 18 2003, 02:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sirus @ Apr 18 2003, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I thought you didnt mean Final Fantasy when you were using ffs, that does mean something else.  Iee.  I was about to tell you to calm down... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

forgot, thanks for reminding me, what do ffs mean then? i always call the final fantasy series like FFI, FFII,FFVI
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
    Personally I feel that the "next-gen" games are deteriorating. People are calling games extremely good just because of eye candy, or because it shares the title of a series they're fans of (DBZ Ultimate Battle 21 for example) (Or is it 22, whatever). Now I'm not saying that every game franchise is necessesarily bad, but there comes a point when we really have to ask "Why are we buying this crap again?" Take the gameboy advance system for example. Sure theres a few great games for it, but most of it is just marketing crap thats being put out so that someone can make some more cash. This is just ONE of the problems plaguing the gaming community. Another problem which I actually have to agree on was addressed in a recent Game Informer magazine article (actually it was editor's notes I believe). Gamers are getting into the swing that we want EVERY game we play to be a blockbuster winning all kinds of game-of-the-year awards. Game developers really notice this trend, and companies are becoming less and less bold in producing a game which may not appeal to the entire U.S. teen population, thus not giving them the hundreds of millions of dollars they desire. As for old vs new games I think my opinion on it is that I'm stuck in the middle. I don't own a PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube. I own the original playstation, and a gameboy advance (and computer, duh). I love how SNES classics are being regenerated on the GBA, and I love the newer games on the PSX. I've found that the PS2 games are fun, but most of them lack a special something which a lot of the older games have.
    Yup, good thing we will always have Blizzard...

/me huggles Bliz
    <!--QuoteBegin--OttoDestruct+Apr 18 2003, 02:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (OttoDestruct @ Apr 18 2003, 02:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Personally I feel that the "next-gen" games are deteriorating. People are calling games extremely good just because of eye candy, or because it shares the title of a series they're fans of (DBZ Ultimate Battle 21 for example) (Or is it 22, whatever). Now I'm not saying that every game franchise is necessesarily bad, but there comes a point when we really have to ask "Why are we buying this crap again?" Take the gameboy advance system for example. Sure theres a few great games for it, but most of it is just marketing crap thats being put out so that someone can make some more cash. This is just ONE of the problems plaguing the gaming community. Another problem which I actually have to agree on was addressed in a recent Game Informer magazine article (actually it was editor's notes I believe). Gamers are getting into the swing that we want EVERY game we play to be a blockbuster winning all kinds of game-of-the-year awards. Game developers really notice this trend, and companies are becoming less and less bold in producing a game which may not appeal to the entire U.S. teen population, thus not giving them the hundreds of millions of dollars they desire. As for old vs new games I think my opinion on it is that I'm stuck in the middle. I don't own a PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube. I own the original playstation, and a gameboy advance (and computer, duh). I love how SNES classics are being regenerated on the GBA, and I love the newer games on the PSX. I've found that the PS2 games are fun, but most of them lack a special something which a lot of the older games have. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i feel the same way.

i was **** off by the N64 and how first, they canceled Earthbound 64, and Metroid 64, 2nd, how the Zelda games were only "50 hours" cuz the damn plains in the middle of all the places took to damn long walk, so you spent 5 hours doing that, and the whole game was ruined by "Oh, we dont know you, but we'll help you antway, jus cuz." Past was far better, so much better that i dont think any other zelda can compete against it.

Mario 64 was **** compared to the original 3 marios, the whole "Collect stars to get to the next level" is not mario, Mario gets INVULNERABILITY when he gets a star, no that star point crap. "Get a 120 stars and you can talk to Yoshi, who gives you 100 lives," by then you dont NEED 100 lives, the game is over, that was a stupid idea.

Diablo II, the worst thing ever. fine ok, first time through, but to get the good items, you need to go at least 3 times through, and you need to get to level 90 or something, way to much time, but people actually go to the xtremes and think the game is great!! its to damn repetative, so repetative that is sucks. going through mario 1000 times is less repetative than Diablo 2, which is real sad.

but i totally agree with you, programmers are getting lazy, Final Fantasy 9, 7 and below are better than 8 and 10, 10 was ok, but the story was simple, to simple for a final fantasy, and the main characters were sorry, while Terra in Final Fantasy 6 was a very interesting character.
    Diablo 2 , is a different genre of RPG, some people like it, others hate it. But by no means could Blizzard make a bad game.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    diablo 1 and 2 are good games, but after my opinion they get boring after you complete them, i can see why anyone wants to use all their time to produce a lvl 99 character since it's just all hack and slashing...if the plot was more flexible(more quests and more than 1 way to solve them) then i might play it more.

the "eyecandy" development is also affecting movies, some new movies are just a bunch of fight scenes, and the newer star wars movies just gota "fake" feel to them. - not like LOTR where every weapon/armor costume/scene HAS been made real.

about new games, old games, im in the middle, but towards old games. if i just could find a DOS/win 3.11 pc so i can run them again properly.
  • airyKairyK Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11126Members
    diablo series is very boring...running around hacking and slashing to get higher level....yes very repetitive...
    ut2k3 very OVER RATED more eye candy then gameplay, quake 3 has better gameplay IMO. just because a game is older and looks like crap compared to the new stuff does not mean its worse then the new stuff. sometimes a newer game can come out and be great, and that doesnt mean all old games were awesome. alot of old games were horrible. the point to this post is, eye candy doesnt make the game, sure it helps but as long as the gameplay is there, thats all that matters.
    Matter of opinion, but you wont see many people who <i>like the genre</i> who believe it was a poorly made game. The best thing about D2 it had by far, the best economy i've seen in a game, it was so fun to just take what you could find, and trade up, and luck and good trading skills could get you a better deal the some shmoe who was doing boss runs.
    <!--QuoteBegin--[2iD]EriC[LdR]+Apr 18 2003, 09:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([2iD]EriC[LdR] @ Apr 18 2003, 09:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> diablo series is very boring...running around hacking and slashing to get higher level....yes very repetitive...
    ut2k3 very OVER RATED more eye candy then gameplay, quake 3 has better gameplay IMO. just because a game is older and looks like crap compared to the new stuff does not mean its worse then the new stuff. sometimes a newer game can come out and be great, and that doesnt mean all old games were awesome. alot of old games were horrible. the point to this post is, eye candy doesnt make the game, sure it helps but as long as the gameplay is there, thats all that matters. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    exactly, newer games get over rated because of eye candy, ye, ut2k3 had good graphics, but i dont like the skins, yes they looked good, but i like the marine skins in UT better, my favorite skin was Othello, same body as Malcom, but he face was different.

Diablo II was to repetative, even mario isnt as repetative, i agree with dirty harry potter, the game would be more standable if there were quests and there was more than one way to solve them, (hacks dont count, which is another thing about diablo2). Also, most quests don have anything to do with the game, "Get me a golden Eagle." Why? it has nothing to do with the game what so ever. Kill the Smith monster. Oh good, charsi can enchant your armor or weapons, but what does that have to do with the story?

Final Fantasy I was fun as it was, and the characters never spoke, well, except when you looked into the water fountain, your gain said "Your face is dirty, better clean it" or something like that. Final Fantasy X was also fun, but it lost a lot of the "Final Fantasy" quality, the game was short, and when you got the airship, the game was easy, i killed the last boss in the game in 3 hits, and i wasnt even at max power!!! Choas (FFI) took me about 13 hits, and i only won because of pure luck and the fact that my characters did about 200 damage minimun and choas only had 2000 health, and used Cure4 at the beginning at the fight, (guesss he can only use it once).

Final Fantasy VIII probably had a horrible group of characters, and there was really "little fantasy" in it. Sure, VII was a techno age of some sort, but it was fun, not ridiculously stupid, and the characters were much cooler.

But, to not say older games are better, i do like Morrowind a helluva alot more than many other rpgs, (like Quest 64). And i like Breath of Fire IV better than BOF3.