Ns Server Frustrations

SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Lags like mad</div> I started out running an NS dedicated server w/ patch 1.03. Also had adminmod and rcbots 0.24. Now, at that time, I also had a CS server running on that same PC. For the most part, the server ran fine with both mods running till the NS server was full (12 players) on maps like bast or hera and even then, the lag was not noticable till late in a long game.

Since then, I had updated NS to v1.04 and disabled the CS server to help preserve cpu time and the server was running great. I had then downgraded rcbots to v0.23 because with that version, they built haves but in doing so, the server lagged intencivly. I tried changing it back to the origenal settings that worked but the lag was still relentless. As soon as there are more then 2 players in the server, the cpu load is maxed out, no mater what map it is.

I have tried uninstalling HLDS 4110 then reinstalling everything back fresh and had hopeless results. I have also tried most of the tips and tricks to tweek my server listed in the "stickies" but found no help. The server does run but the cpu load is so intencive that it's not really playable.

Would anyone be so kind as to work with me to help tune this PC up some so NS would be playable again?
Here are my servers specs:
Intel P3 - 933
512mb PC2100 DDR
30gb 5400rpm IDE HD
WinXP home SP1

Comments

• DuckDuck Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9195Members
    What other programs are running on this computer in the background? What kind of connection do you have it on?
  • verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Sandman+Apr 2 2003, 04:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sandman @ Apr 2 2003, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have tried uninstalling HLDS 4110 then reinstalling everything back fresh and had hopeless results. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you installed fresh, did you also install RCbot? If so, try again without it. See if that changes anything.

Like Duck suggested, check your running processes to make sure you don't have something else eating up your resources.
  • f3Rl3SSf3Rl3SS Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12878Members
    Don't forget to install the 1.04 patch. It has little performance gain to 1.03.
  • PetitMortePetitMorte Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7232Members
    Are you running any other metamod plugins? I was running BingBooster and was running 50-90% processor useage. When I took it off I got only 20-40% useage.

I'm running an 8-player server happily on a celeron 533, with several metamod plugins and adminmod. Your processor should be able to handle that easily, and then some.

Try turning off NS and running just the CS server for a little while... does that lag? Does it run the processor up too? If so you may have a hardware problem. Is your processor fan on tight?

I'd suggest updating your metamod, just on principal.

And definitely check your processes... see which of em are hogging processor time.

Good Luck!
  • MOMBorisMOMBoris Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14777Members
    I think for the most part, if you have TOO many bots, the server lags.

I found this when testing those bots. Try getting rid of them. Do you need them? This is probably your problem.
  • SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
    Duck
    I have abyss web server, a DNS client and norton AV running, that's it. 1.5Mb / 384Kb ADSL.

verbose
    Yes, I did try installing bots again. I have not tried without them.

f3@Rl3SS
    Note first post: <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had updated NS to v1.04<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PetitMorte
    I only have the default plugins for adminmod and should be latest dlls, AM 2.50.51 and MM 1.13.3. I am currently running a 14 player TFC server with adminmod, foxbots, neotf and several other plugins with no problems. 20% cpu load when full.

[MOM]Boris
    I tried with 1 to 6 bots and still no difference. No one will join an empty server and NS is no fun to play alone.
  • SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
    edited April 2003
    I'm starting to think that my problem maybe in my server settings. My connection seems not to be the issue because I see the same problems either by LAN or by internet connection. My CPU load seems to jump up and down like a pogo stick when running NS as a dedicated server. I see upto 10% CPU usage with 12 players in the readyroom but constantly spikes to 100% with at least one player on each team.

Here is my server.cfg<!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->
    // disable autoaim and mad gibs
    sv_aim 0
    violence_hgibs 0
    violence_agibs 0

// player bounding boxes (collisions, not clipping)
    sv_clienttrace 3.5

// disable clients' ability to pause the server
    pausable 0

// default server name. Change to "Bob's Server", etc.
    hostname "TheSandbox NS v1.04"

// maximum client movement speed (needed for commander mode)
    sv_maxspeed 1500
    sv_cheats 0
    sv_allowdownloads 1
    sv_lan 0
    sv_minrate 0
    sv_maxrate 2500
    rcon_password xxxxxxxx

mp_consistency 0
    mp_countdowntime .2
    mp_latejointime 5
    mp_logdetail 0
    mp_assert 0
    mp_tournamentmode 0
    mp_networkmeterrate 7500
    //mp_networkmeterrate 100000
    mp_falldamage 1
    mp_serverscripts 0
    mp_teamresourcehandicap 1
    mp_spawninvulnerabletime 0
    mp_drawdamage 0

// 60 minute timelimit
    mp_timelimit 20

// Commander voting
    mp_votedowntime 180
    mp_votecasttime 2
    mp_votepercentneeded .4
    mp_minvotesneeded 1

mp_logfile 0
    log off
    mp_networkdebug 0
    mp_flashlight 1
    mp_footsteps 1

// List server op WON ids here, delimited by semi-colons (eg, "12345;23223;123123").  mp_authicons must be 1 for this to work.
    mp_serverops ""
    mp_authicons 1

exec addons/adminmod/config/adminmod.cfg<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

NOTE: I have run about 5 other mods like TFC, CS, Sven Coop, RC & SI with no performance problems to speak of. Only NS is running this poorly.
  • verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    Too many variables to guess at where the problem is. I recommend reinstalling, and testing with *bare* HLDS+NS. No metamod; no nuthin'. Default server config; change nothing but the hostname. See if you have lag problems. If not, add plugins and change server settings one at a time, and test after every change. It may be a slow procedure, but it's going to be hard to isolate the problem otherwise.