Turning Off Weapons' Flash?

MrGardenHoseManMrGardenHoseMan Join Date: 2003-03-29 Member: 15020Members
I've noticed that one of the reasons why i can't aim worth a **** (being a marine) is because i can't see almost the whole right of my screen when my weapon is firing. One of the options i thought i saw in config could turn it off, but i think that was a different game. Anyways, is there a command that can turn off weapons' flash?

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    If the weapon flash was meant to be removable, then it wouldn't be there in the first place. Try turning up your resolution.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    [/Flame sheild engaged]

This is a rather hot topic around here, its called <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=665edf506ba5a4c78e95867cb9a49936&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=muzzle+flash' target='_blank'>Muzzle Flash</a> and turning it off is considered by most to be inappropriate.
  • EplekongenEplekongen Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8915Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--"NS v1.1 changelog+ <a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/"' target='_blank'>http://www.natural-selection.org/"</a>--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ("NS v1.1 changelog @ <a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/"' target='_blank'>http://www.natural-selection.org/"</a>)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->- Skulk bite and machine gun muzzle flash obscure view less<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is planned to be improved in 1.1.
  • ElectroKiwiMonkeyElectroKiwiMonkey Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7384Members
    I play at 640x480, which I'm going to guess is probably the lowest resolution used by most users (again, it's a guess). I have absolutely no problems whatsoever aiming with the muzzle flash on the LMG, and honestly can't understand what the problem is. Yes, I probably would have slightly better aim without it, but I'd have even better aim without having the gun there. Is that something I should go and do just to up my accuracy a few measly percent?

Better yet, why don't I just go ahead and hax all my models so that they're just a wireframe, letting me see right through them. Oh, and I could lighten up all the skins on player models so people can't hide from me.

While I'm at it, I could even download OGC (or whatever the hell it's called) and use it to remove the WALLS! Boy, that would jack up my accuracy a ton.

Get the point?
  • ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
    this has been mentioned so much. now in 1.1 the muzzle flash will cease to be an annoyance and will just be a cool effect. i knew this would happen someday. a lot of hardcore players that like to show-off their aim will now be flooding to NS.
  • mRWafflesmRWaffles Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4713Members
    We have been over this a million times. The resolution does not change the size of the sprite. I saw some test pics and it was confirmed. I play in 640*480 because I am too lazy to change it off my CS res. You need to burst to relock your aim. There is no recoil just cone spray. Bursting is a good idea to increase your own aim.
  • JowerJower Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13448Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->considered by most to be inappropriate.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    considered by most to be cheating.
    hehe
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Burst fire ownz!</span>
  • JowerJower Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13448Members
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The poltergorge owns!</span>
  • MurdochMurdoch Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1822Members
    yup....screen resolution does not affect muzzleflash.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    i am greatly confused as too why people notice it, and others do not. I never noticed it. But thats because i dont hold the trigger down firing at everything like a total madman...And dont give me all that FPS nonsense..i run at a measly 30FPS max, in a fire-fight....
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Welcome to the forums. Please use the Search function at the bottom of the forum page to look for topics before you post. This topic, for instance, has been discussed to death.

1) Removing the muzzle flash or otherwise changing NS from the "stock" options is considered cheating in official NS tournaments and such.

2) The muzzle flash will be less of an obstruction in 1.1.

3) Everyone wave bye bye.
This discussion has been closed.