Best Map For Newbies

2»

Comments

• KayekKayek Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14256Members
    edited March 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Frogg2+Mar 2 2003, 06:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Frogg2 @ Mar 2 2003, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->turns out there's 4, 5 if you count the one from the sub-tunnel to port engine.

2 major ones, 2-3 minor ones.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    just what I need, an actual map that I can print out.
    Are there maps like that for the rest of the ..uh.. maps aswell?

[edit: never mind. found it myself in another thread: <a href='http://www.tribes2maps.com/ns/' target='_blank'>http://www.tribes2maps.com/ns/</a> ]
  • TyRLagunaTyRLaguna Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 14014Members
    im a noob and i started on Tanith and eclipse but i think tanith is eaisier for the marines to learn, right outside your base is a great opebn place providing awesome visability, bad for skulks, but the alien perspective is quite easy to learn also, this is the map i would prefer that newbs start on, but do becareful of onos there, my hint on Tanith is GET JETPACKS!! they cant hurt you in such a bid place when you are madly flying around spraying bullets everywhere.

Go jetpacks and (for me) get a shotty it kills skulks in 1 close up shot BE PATIENT

14 cents and a quarter.
  • OnumaOnuma Join Date: 2003-01-18 Member: 12428Members
    I think most people who started NS in 1.0 probably started on ns_eclipse or ns_caged. They are relatively simple maps, and you're less likely to get lost in them than the other maps.
  • WormtailWormtail Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10033Members
    most easiest map for newbies

is probably ns_siege004

THis is sorta like a fun map becuase:

aliens start out with 3 hives

both teams have a 2 rooms called the [ team name] recource bank

those roooms have like more 10 res nozzles in it!

THIS MAP IS INCREDIBLE SMALL AND EASY!!!

1 downsize for aliens::

if marines make siege behind the glass wall near the hive room, aliens are dead....

this map is fun AND THE PERFECT PLACE TO LEARN!!!

you can build anything cause you have 3 hives !

you can learn all the abilities of aliens!

LEarn the things about marines!

bulid build build, and fight!

this map is also a good expert training map, cause it causes aliens to attack marines fast. remember, they build siege beside the hive room, aliens soon die! so aliens must attack fast!
  • NightfireTGNightfireTG Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11508Members
    i personally think that tanith is the best
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    Eclipse. Layouts fairly easy, there aren't lots of vents and theres no weldables to change the architecture of the map.

However, instead of picking an 'easy' map and playing on that exclusively, i'd attack the problem from a different direction. If your having problems learning the maps in-game, start a LAN game and explore every inch of them as an alien. It'll only take about 10 mins per map and will help enormously.
  • dwindlehopdwindlehop Join Date: 2003-03-25 Member: 14870Members
    Eclipse, because that's the easiest one that I see played frequently. Tanith just never shows up in the low-ping servers on my list.

I like eclipse because I've actually learned all the room names there and know where the points of contention are. The hallways around computer core are unfortunately very similar in appearance but fortunately very straight and non-twisty.
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    tanith - the 5th map i played, and its best for that map to play xeno, then progress to marinne

amckern
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    seige or bast, in my oppinion
    bast is fun once you learn it, andseige would help you learn about various parts of the game
  • wlibaerswlibaers Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8685Members
    I think Bast and Hera are the two best maps once you get some experience. Lots of opportunities for good fights. Hera has a lot of vents the marines can close, but the aliens can open them again (at least some, didn't test all). Also, some great multi-level action near processing with all those ladders, and to a lesser extent in every hive. This map shows why the 2.5D -> 3D (Doom to Quake, remember ziggurat vertigo?) transition was so great. Bast is special because it has lots of opportunities for the marines to be sneaky. Many of the vents are almost as easy for marines to use as for aliens. Two hives can be sieged from convenient vents.

However, for someone who doesn't know all the vent tricks, eclipse. Few vents and a relatively straightforward layout. But if you play as alien or jetpacker you definitely should know them as they provide some great shortcuts. Some people don't even know there are vents in eclipse, and they're bound to get a skulk in their neck coming out of nowhere.

Tanith is a good map for marines, welding the vents at waste handling closed gives you one easy to lock down hive, the fusion hive is easy to kill from the next room, and the final hive can be sieged by blowing up the wall. Nothing is absolute hell for aliens in the beginning, especially if they don't get cargo. The long vents heavily favour marines. But if the aliens do fight well in the beginning and own most of the map, marines just can't get out of their base anymore.

Caged: quite complex, hard for both sides. Low fps map if you have an older comp.

Nancy: fantastic (and horribly complex) vent system. The vents alone on this map are more complicated than most other complete maps. Once you know it, killer skulk/lerk. No matter where the marines are, you can attack them from behind. Once jetpacks are available, all hives are in serious danger though.

The best approach, IMHO, would be to stick to the NS standard maps, and get printed layouts for each. That way you don't get lost so easily, and you learn faster. After a while, you won't even need those maps anymore, except for the most difficult ones (nancy vents, caged).
  • SayerSayer Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6094Members
    it's ns_eclipse no if or buts shush all u people who say it's not
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I disagree that bast is an easy map to learn. Sure it's easy to nail where the hives are, and get a grasp of where all the res nodes are, however the vent systems surrounding marine start are IMHO very important for aliens (connecting Engine room with Atmospheric processing and marine start). Aside from that it's easy to get a basic grip on the map which is the important thing I suppose.

As for nancy, some fo those vents can be very tricky to get into (eg vent in the room outside unnamed on the wall next to mess hall, or the vent at mother interface anyone? These can be a royal pain in the backside!)

IMHO it's better just to play all the maps and not try individual maps more than others. there will come a time when you favour certain maps and disfavour others. The reasons will almost certainly be wildly different from your first impressions!