Acronyms And Abbreviations

Comments

• TyphonTyphon Members Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Posts: 1,597
    *guy in HA jumping up and down/blinking flashlight on and off* = WELD ME QUICK!!!
    "Drop a (name of structure)" = request for comm to place a (name of structure) near your location.
    "fading" / "onosing" / "lerking" / "gorging" / "skulking" = alien letting his team know he is evolving to a (alien type)
    Counting bodies like sheep
    To the rythm of the war drums

• b00jahb00jah Members Join Date: 2002-10-26 Member: 1613Posts: 36
    Painted - Parasited
    user posted image
    Now We Donce - 128.194.11.209:27015
  • UntitledUntitled Members Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13348Posts: 215
    HERE r sum terms that ppl did not bother to post

Llamer: One whoes sole purpose is to ruin the game (i.e waste all res on medpacks and recycles everything)

Rambo: To go off on one's own and try to take on aliens by themselves cuz they were a n00b

n00b: Either sum 1 who is new to the game or sum 1 who acts r insanly stupid (like sum 1 building mov chambers first...)

PHASE NOW!: for sum reson ppl dont understand this..but it means every head thru the pg

*the sight of an onos*: Game over for the marines

Other non-related terms:

afk: either away from keyboard or...A free kill

lag: A horrible plague that terrorizes multiplayer games...Or the crappy slowdown you get

Spamming: To create a lotta junk like building a gillion ips...creating lag or crashing the server

user posted image

What the hell is up with these things?
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Members Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Posts: 4,417 Advanced user
    newbie: someone new to the game.
    n00b: 1: someone new to the game who refuses to learn, doesn't listen or read the manual, doesn't have a clue how to play and either doesn't give a damn or thinks he does know. 2: someone who's not very good at the game.

Don't confuse the two smile.gif
  • NiteowlNiteowl Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor Join Date: 2002-09-04 Member: 1274Posts: 1,221
    omw on my way 'i need help atttacking the CC!!' 'omw!'
    brt be right there
    [OldF] Niteowl
    www.oldf.net; #oldfogies on Gamesurge
    Prune Juice : pj.oldf.net
    Life Support: ls.oldf.net
    Mature, friendly teamplay.
    NAPT
  • cr4zycr4zy Members Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9342Posts: 2
    saa = station access alpha on ns_eclipse
    horse = horse shoe area on eclipse
    triad = triad generators on eclipse
  • killswitchkillswitch Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13141Posts: 684
    meds, mp, med = med pack
    Thou shalt hoist oneself upon thy ship of good sportsman, For thy days of "GG" and "NICE Shot" hath past, "GG" shalt be "BS" thy "Nice Shot" shalt be "AIMBOT!!1!1". - Teh Book of Noob Chapter 8:12
    bash.org
  • FireStormFireStorm Members Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7390Posts: 1,975
    QUOTE (Untitled @ Feb 25 2003, 01:38 AM)
    n00b: Either sum 1 who is new to the game or sum 1 who acts r insanly stupid (like sum 1 building mov chambers first...)

Have you ever seen silenced skulks in early game? You walk, you don't hear ANYTHING but your own footsteps and suddenly *CHOMP*CHOMP* you're dead. MC first is not a noob tactic.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor Join Date: 2002-09-04 Member: 1274Posts: 1,221
    ah, again, please, no acronyms for maps, the first post would get toooo long
    [OldF] Niteowl
    NAPT
  • GeballosaurusGeballosaurus Members Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13161Posts: 167
    I believe pg = phase gate has not been mentioned
    I've also seen hs = health spam and as = ammo spam used by some people to get their commander to do as such.
    Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...

Check the new clan I belong to here, or on GamesNet at #pgclan...
    pg is there.

as, and hs?

hrm.

if lots ppl hear this, i'll put up.
    [OldF] Niteowl
    NAPT
  • watch_me_diewatch_me_die Members Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8107Posts: 562
    Some basic RTS terms often used in NS are:

turtle / turtling - building up the base a lot with turrets, etc. while having little or no expansion
    rush - a group charging the opposing team's base
  • watch_me_diewatch_me_die Members Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8107Posts: 562
    edited February 2003
    Also: smile.gif

RTS / FPS - real time strategy, first person shooter. NS is a combination of these two types of games.

turret farm - a huge collection of turrets, the marine equivalent of the WoL.

res whoring - placing down as many resource points as possible (marine tactic)

tech rush - a marine tactic; upgrading as fast as possible in order to rush the alien hive, usually to JPs and HMGs and probably using res whoring tactics.

waypoint - a marine's current order as placed by the commander.

spawn camp - to sit on/in the spawn of the opposing team and kill them as soon as they appear.

lame / llama - someone or something or a tactic which is frowned upon.

spray and pray - holding down the trigger and pointing in the general direction of your enemy in the hope that you will hit him.

spam - randomly doing lots of the mentioned action, as in "med spam", also just "spam" as in "spray and pray" firing.

bunnyhop - to jump continously in such a manner that you gain a speed boost from doing it.

para'd / para'ed - short for parasited.

para - short for parasite or paralyse depending on the context.

tank - another word for heavy armour.

bitegun - the skulks "bite" attack, taken from the console name for this.

obv / obsv - some people use this for observatory.

sens - sensory chambers.

off - offense chambers/towers.

rawr - this is either used after taking out a lot of marines, or after evolving to a high-level alien (fade, onos). probably in imitation of how the aliens make the noise smile.gif
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Members Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Posts: 4,417 Advanced user
    teh bumpz0r!

Sticky this? pwease? smile.gif
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Members Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Posts: 4,943 Advanced user
    QUOTE (FireStorm @ Feb 26 2003, 01:38 PM)
    QUOTE (Untitled @ Feb 25 2003, 01:38 AM)

Have you ever seen silenced skulks in early game? You walk, you don't hear ANYTHING but your own footsteps and suddenly *CHOMP*CHOMP* you're dead. MC first is not a noob tactic.

yes but is this silence viable against a group of marines (the way it was meant to be played) to take it over healing? (dcs healing OCs/hives/skulks/giving carapace)
    Not so sure. Nonetheless, I surely find it quite funny, and I'm sure I'm going to get a game or two of silenced skulking on my server since I dont make noise chomping either smile.gif
    -signed-
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect GermanyMembers, NS1 Playtester, Contributor Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Posts: 930
    General Chat:
    k = ok
    thx = thanks
    ty = thank you
    np = no problem
    urw = u r welcome = you are welcome
    afk = away from keyboard
    brb = be right back
    re = returned
    wb = welcome back
    zombie.gif
    *bump*

Let's give this another try:

Please, please sticky this? With sprinkles on top? With small piece of fruit and\or confectionary of your choice on the top? Come on, you know you want to...
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Posts: 4,405
    edited March 2003
    some other abbreviations for alien buildings:

Def - defense chamber

Sens - Sensory chamber

movement -movement chamber

off tower -offense tower

res tower - resource tower

Common Sentances

Rushing - where the marines/Aliens storm the opposing teams base at the very beginning of the game
    OMG! - Oh My God
    H4X/H4X0R - Hacker/Cheater
    FFS - For **** Sake!
  • MartMart Origin of SUYF Members Join Date: 2002-02-26 Member: 248Posts: 478
    Tagged - As Kharaa it means you've parasited specific marines (Is used in conjunction with other acronyms, e.g. I've Tagged 3 HA HMGs.) As a marine it means you've been parasited.

Tagging - Means your intention right now is to tag as many marines as possible rather than just throwing yourself at them.
    Co-Founder of Evolutionarily Challenged. Dictator of #evo.
    *bump*

Someone wanted a list of acronyms and abbreviations. Voila!
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Members Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Posts: 3,039
    and remember tbh = NOTHING AT ALL
    teh r33t4rd c0mmANDAR. EU NS League @ ensl.zanith.nl
    IPB Image
    (Sig by Eplekongen)
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Posts: 1,042
    One of you mods get your Pot O' Glue and make this sticky puweeez smile.gif

*Joins Skorp in his efforts to sticky the thang smile.gif
    [13:57] <RabidWeasel> if I liked sex with giant rock-people, I'd want you
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Members Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Posts: 3,039
    QUOTE (ThinG @ Apr 19 2003, 08:11 AM)
    *Joins Skorp in his efforts to sticky the thang smile.gif

*scared*
    teh r33t4rd c0mmANDAR. EU NS League @ ensl.zanith.nl
    IPB Image
    (Sig by Eplekongen)
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Posts: 1,042
    edited April 2003
    very good job in summarising all the suggestions Niteowl!

user posted image

Now sticky this thing would you plz mods ?!?!?
    IMO this is a very informational post for new players, or general dumb ppl such as myself smile.gif

["the thang" does sound pretty jinky doesn't it biggrin.gif]
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 18 2003, 02:12 PM)
    WTH : I just got owned
    cheater: I suck compared to him

Mwuaha

"elite" biggrin.gif
  • panzerSPpanzerSP Members Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13419Posts: 58
    smile.gif good guide... for a newbie must be a problem have a lot of abbreviations to use
  • MongooseBobMongooseBob Members Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13638Posts: 54
    Don't forget

BRBGTGCHKBBQ

"Be Right Back As Soon As I Have Finished Checking the Steaks I am Grilling For Dinner"

You see that one alot.
    "That there are few men who arc able to cut well in beheadings is further proof that men's courage has waned. " - The Hagakure

MongooseBub
  • JowerJower Members Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13448Posts: 1,203
    edited April 2003
    Ya
    I just saw that 3 times in 2 games

Anyway I think many of these are used on like one server cause I've never heard of most of em smile.gif
    hehe
    And some are stated as more than one thing
    Anyway it's a roxorzing thread and I hope it gets stickied
    Two thumbs up !
    hehe

EDIT: And ThinG, you have the coolest pics ! smile.gif
    WhineMaster™
    SpamMaster™ ( thanks Phoenix ! )
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Members Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Posts: 1,285
    mods...please please sticky this and stop the frustation..(spelled wrong but o well). i gots some candy smile.gif come on "web" this
    I code games. That is all.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Posts: 2,905 Advanced user
    *bump*

This should be stickied.
    some obscure NS gameplay data (added back to signature since people still ask for it from time to time)