Just thinking

LazarusLazarus Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 122Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
I was thinking, can the hl engine turn bob into so many different angels like when he is wallclimbing or stuff, I got a bit bored so I made this

Comments

• pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    hmm well do the feet of the models in CS dissapear in the ground when they walk up a slope? don't think so, so I guess bob's "feet" won't dissapear in the ground aswell
  • LazarusLazarus Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 122Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    bob has got 4 legs, the guys in cs has got 2
  • SmokeMastaSmokeMasta Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 430Members
    in cs feet hsd collisions with the sloped floor (look closely and u see it)
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    I'm pretty sure Flayra mentioned that the models would 'flip' to orient themselves to whatever wall they were climbing up. Dunno if that's true still, but I do know it was part of the original plan.
  • BFishmanBFishman Join Date: 2002-05-04 Member: 579Members
    heh, love the drawing...

but seriously -- it must be really hard to program proper model-surface collision detection. i mean, almost EVERY game has dead bodies half in walls, feet digging into slopes (seen above), dead bodies hanging in mid air, but attached at the toe to the balcony or what have you.  ohhh...... the day when dead bodies properly slump against a wall, crumple into a corner, or tumble off a ledge..... gurgle....
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--BFishman+May 04 2002,19:10--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (BFishman @ May 04 2002,19:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin--> ohhh...... the day when dead bodies properly slump against a wall, crumple into a corner, or tumble off a ledge..... gurgle....<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You seen any in game footage for Unreal 2?  They have some amazing physics stuff setup that does all that and more.
  • realityisdeadrealityisdead Employed by Raven Software after making ns_nothing Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 94Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    As does Halo. Toss a grenade in the middle of a group of Covenant and watch how they end up on the landscape. It really is cool. Everything (like arms, legs, etc) seems to have weight. No need to dream, it's already here.

Now if it didn't happen so fast...

/me wants to see how valve is implementing the "Havoc" physics into their games.

<!--EDIT|ken20banks|May 04 2002,19:47-->
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    hitman has incredible physics like that,there arms and body will ahng over edges and such, very cool.