The Diff Between Alien And Marine Res

Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Am i getting this wrong?</div> Apperanty the amount of marines on a team affects how fast they get res? I've heard that marines with larger teams get more res with each click, and and marine teams with fewer players get less res with each click.

So basically a small alien team gets res faster than a small marine team, and a large alien team gets res slower than a large marine team?

I'm wondering if the marine res is backwards?

It seems fine at a certain amount of players though.

Comments

• f3rretf3rret Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 686Members
    I believe that you get res in proportion to the number of people on your team. This applies to aliens as well as marines.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    If I remember correctly, the larger team=larger resources only applies to marines. Aliens get faster resources when they get more hives.

Or I'm wrong. Not sure.
  • DoADrunkMonkeyDoADrunkMonkey Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11902Members
    both sides get 0.31 res per second from one res node.

since marines don`t need res, only the comm then it seems they need less for like stuff but aliens get the same but it goes into their res pool y`know that thing and then gets split up.
    me making prog to calculate it, nearly done.

P.S. their is that handicap thing in server options. u see res nodes have +1 coming out of it, if handicapp is on and ur team has fewer players i makes it +2.
    if its switched on
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2003
    Both teams gets (1 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players resources every tick.
    [Edited - it's 1, not 10, in base].

The marine side gets it all into one pool, while the Kharaa shares it out among all living aliens, gorges getting three times as much as other aliens. The net effect is that each Kharaa is getting the same amount of resources no matter the teamsize, while marines sees their resources multiplied by the number of players on the team.

This works fairly ok for the Kharaa, as they have lots of per-alien costs. It works less well for the marines, as they don't have any real per-person costs until they get HA/HMG's. All marine teams needs to build the same buildings and do the same research... which means that the game time needed to do that is about 4 times as long in a 4v4 game vs a 16v16 game.

In reality, it means that only servers in the range of 6v6 to 10v10 is balanced- any smaller, and the marines don't have much of a chance. Any larger, and the Kharaa is pretty much done for. Fortunately, the skill of players vary so much that this isn't all that obvious on public servers. A bad commander can take down just about any marine team, no matter how many resources he has.
  • SpeedySpeedy Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7313Members, Constellation
    I saw a formula posted somewhere that spells out precisely how many res each teams gets. However, I do remember it being something like:

X = num players on your team
    Y = num players on other team

res = (X) * (Y/X) * (num of res nozzles) * (some other stuff I forgot)
    res = (Y) * (num of nozzles) * (some other stuff I forgot)

So, how fast you get res depends upon the number of players on the OTHER team, no matter
    how many players are on your team. That's why Marines, in large games, get res so damn fast.
    However, because of the Alien model where:

X = total number of aliens
    Ng = number of gorges
    No = number of aliens OTHER than gorges
    Nu = number of alien 'units'
    Y = number of marines
    R = total res for the aliens

No = X - Ng
    Nu = No +(3*Ng)

R is still proportional to Y. However, the amount of res a gorge gets is:

(R / Nu) * 3

So, with 1 alien and that alien being a gorge, that gorge would get all alien resources.
    With 10 aliens total and one gorge, that gorge would get (R / 12) * 3, or 3/12 of the total
    alien resources !! Thus, the gorge only gets 1/4 of the total alien resources until the non-gorges
    start "filling up". That's why, early game, a large alien team has a difficult getting resource towers
    put up. The gorge is collecting resources very slowly. That's why large games favor the marines.
  • DocZDocZ Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9831Members
    edited January 2003
    EDIT: The poster above thinks that only the marines get more ressources if their team is smaller than the aliens, but that applies to BOTH teams. The actual ressource income into the ressource pool is identical for both marines and kharaa. The reason why the marines have an advantage in larger games IS NOT because of actual ressource income, but rather because the commander is not forced to distribute his ressources evenly across his players, and therefore has more money to spend on overhead stuff like phase gates, observatories, turret factories (overhead means buildings that would be there ANYWAYS, whether the team had 6 players or 15).

Both sides get the exact same amount of ressources per ressource node. Also, both sides get a multiplier applied to the ressources they get, and as a result having more players does not benefit a specific team ressource-wise. In addition to that both sides have a certain other multiplier factored in the ressource model which gives any team with less players additional ressources. Now it's possible that at high player count games (and therefore at high ressource games) the game won't be completely balanced, but that hinges on factors that are dependent on ressources, rather than ressources themselves.

For the marines, all the ressources they get per turn goes straight to the commander pool and he uses it how he wishes.

For the aliens it's a little different. All the ressources they get per turn goes into their ressource pool. That ressource pool distributes the ressources equally between every kharaa, except for gorges who get 3 times as many ressources as the other kharaa. If any player maxes out on ressources (like for instance a skulk has 33/33 ressources with one hive) he will not be given ressources from the ressource pool for the next turn (and all other players will hence get more).

That is why it is always good to max out as a skulk (33/33). If enough skulks do this you'll see your gorge's ressources start shooting up, making it much easier to get a hive. Most smart gorges will time this little event in their build order, so that by the time they get to their second hive after putting up a couple ressource nodes and def. chambers, they'll be able to put their second hive up.

Again, both the marines and the aliens get their ressources multiplied by how many players they get. Their ressource pool has the same ressource model.

That's why it's always good to have one gorge early on. He gets a larger share of the ressource pool than he would with 2 gorges AND the other skulks max out (33/33) much more quickly.

If EVERY player on the alien team is maxed out, the ressources acquired per turn will simply be stored in the resource pool until any player needs more ressources (that's why sometimes if you join a game as a gorge you'l see your ressources shoot up super fast)
  • SpeedySpeedy Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7313Members, Constellation
    By the way, in large games, the aliens may be able to get a 2nd hive up faster if, after 1st gorge gets a res tower up, a 2nd alien goes gorge and just sits on his butt, saving up for the hive, while the other gorge goes around and caps resource nozzles. With 8 aliens:

a) assume 7 skulks, 1 gorge

Nu = 7 + (3 * 1) = 10
    (3 * 1) / 10 = 3/10
    gorge gets 30% of the total alien resources

b) assume 6 skulks, 2 gorges
    Nu = 6 + (3 * 2) = 12
    (3 * 2) / 12 = 1/2
    gorges get 50%
    each gorge gets 50/2 = 25% of the total alien resources

With 12 aliens:

c) assume 11 skulks, 1 gorge

Nu = 11 + (3 * 1) = 14
    (3 * 1) / 14 = 3/14
    gorge gets 21.5% of the total alien resources

d) assume 10 skulks, 2 gorges

Nu = 10 + (3 * 2) = 16
    (3 * 2) / 16 = 6/16
    gorges get 37.5% of the total alien resources
    each gorge gets 18.8% of the total alien resources

So, going with 2 gorges vs. 1, each gorge only gives up (21.5 - 18.8) = 2.7% of the alien resource pool, or 12% of the resources he would have gotten had he been the only gorge.

What I have not factored in is the total effectiveness of the Aliens, since 1 skulk going gorge means 1 less skulk to parasite/harass/kill Marines.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I don't know exact numbers... however:

1) both teams gain resources in the same way - that is, if teams are even, both teams are getting the same rate.

2) The rate of RP draw increases as the number of players increases; a larger game will have faster resources than a smaller game.

3) A team with fewer players on it will gain a bonus to its RP draw rate to account for the numerical disadvantage.
  • PIMAWang_Hung_LoPIMAWang_Hung_Lo Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12125Members
    Lets not forget marine upgrades either.

Getting weapon/armor upgrades for a 5 man team costs more per unit than it does for a 10 man team.

I don't know the cost per upgrade, but assuming level 1 costs like 20 rps:

20 rps/ 5 marines = 4 rps/marine
    20 rps/ 10 marines = 2 rps/marine

Since the amount of resources the comm gets is proportional to the number of marines on his team, this means upgrades can be bought much sooner since they cost less per marine.

Aliens have to pay the same amount to buy upgrades regardless of team size since they're on a per unit basis.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin--[PIMA]Wang Hung Lo+Jan 18 2003, 08:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([PIMA]Wang Hung Lo @ Jan 18 2003, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Aliens have to pay the same amount to buy upgrades regardless of team size since they're on a per unit basis.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True.. but building the structures themselves is the same finite amount of resources, as is building new hives - and since the aliens are gaining RPs faster in a larger game, they get access to their upgrades and higher evolutions relatively sooner. So it balances out. The only real imbalance, IMO, is the respawn rate. But that's not what's being discussed here.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Well ... the problem is, until the "skulk bank" is filled, the aliens get _LESS_ resources per gorge the larger the game. The skulk bank fills at about the 8-9 minute point, at which time the gorge goes from 20 to 120 res per minute (12v12 game, 4 RT).

The "skulk bank" drains off 80% (or rather 11/14) of the available resources in a 12v12 games, and only lets the aliens use this for something useful once the 2nd hive is up. If the 2nd hive never comes up ... well, then it will never be used for anything useful. Note that the smaller the game, the smaller the bank drain - in a 4v4 game, the bank drain is only 3/6, or 50%.

This of course means that the game is speeded up tremendously for the marines as the game gets larger, while it basically stays still for the Kharaa in the first 10 minutes.

Do note that you can turn this around, and say that the marine first 10 minutes are getting slower the smaller the game, while the Kharaa is building their hive at the same time as always. Thus, smaller marine teams are getting the shaft, while larger can float to victory on a tidal wave of resource points.

It would seem pretty evident that you need to flatten the resource income for the marines some .. increasing it a bit for smaller teams, decreasing it some for larger teams. It IS true that larger teams need more resources .. but doubling the teamsize doesn't mean they need twice as many res.
    edited January 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--coil+Jan 18 2003, 05:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (coil @ Jan 18 2003, 05:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--[PIMA]Wang Hung Lo+Jan 18 2003, 08:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([PIMA]Wang Hung Lo @ Jan 18 2003, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Aliens have to pay the same amount to buy upgrades regardless of team size since they're on a per unit basis.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True.. but building the structures themselves is the same finite amount of resources, as is building new hives - and since the aliens are gaining RPs faster in a larger game, they get access to their upgrades and higher evolutions relatively sooner. So it balances out. The only real imbalance, IMO, is the respawn rate. But that's not what's being discussed here.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually the gorges get res slower due to the fact that resources are split between all of the aliens. This means the gorge can build less structures, and the comm can build more structures in the early game with large numbers of players. The gorge will only see a significant increase in his rate of resource gain when the skulks max out (33/33), but by that time the comm has already been able to take advantage of his significant resource increase.

Looking at "(10 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players"

Assume even teams 5 vs 5, 1 res node:
    (10 + 5 * 1 * 0.23) * 5 / 5 = 11.15 rps per tick
    11.5 / 5 = 2.23 rps per tick per alien

Assume even teams 10 vs 10, 1 res node:
    (10 + 10 * 1 * 0.23) * 10 / 10 = 12.3 rps per tick
    12.3 / 10 = 1.23 rps per tick per alien

Not only does the gorge get less resources, but it will take longer for the skulks to max out.

<edit>Yah, what matso42 said</edit>
  • Error404Error404 Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9353Members
    Don't the marine team get a starting res?
    Both teams get starting res.
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 2002-06-12 Member: 759Members
    Actually, I have found that the <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->(10 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2--> is wrong.

It should be <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1--> (num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

I mean, look at it... in a 5v5 game with no gorges (yet) are you getting 2 res a tick? (A tick in NS is 5-6 seconds) I think not.

I made a calculator (check out my topic in General Discussion) using the (num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * (num_enemy_players / num_own_players) formula (just for the basic calculations not including gorges). I was going to PM Flayra asking him some questions, but his inbox was full, so I can't get a true answer about the resource model, but I am pretty sure I got it correct.
  • DoADrunkMonkeyDoADrunkMonkey Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11902Members
    is 0.23 how much res is made by one node in one second?
    you sure? cos i done tests, but if 0.23 is what it says in the code ?

P.S. for one node i estimate it takes 315.78 seconds to make 100 res for marines same for aliens but it goes into their pool instead, but u can`t see how much the pool has.
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 2002-06-12 Member: 759Members
    edited January 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--{DoA}DrunkMonkey+Jan 18 2003, 03:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ({DoA}DrunkMonkey @ Jan 18 2003, 03:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->is 0.23 how much res is made by one node in one second?
    you sure? cos i done tests, but if 0.23 is what it says in the code ?

P.S. for one node i estimate it takes 315.78 seconds to make 100 res for marines same for aliens but it goes into their pool instead, but u can`t see how much the pool has.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In a 5v5, 4 skulks 1 gorge, 1 node makes 2.3 res a tick. The gorge gets ~.98res while the skulks only get ~.33 res a tick.

How did you figure that number? So many things go into res calculations, mostly # of players on each team and total and the # of gorges (for the alien team).

EDIT: Last paragraph was wrong.... n/m I think there is a error in my coding with 1v1s. I am sure that 4v4 and higher are correct though.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    that 2 gorges/1 gorges comparision doesn't work since the gorg will get all the res after the skulks are all 33/33
    <!--QuoteBegin--Unknown+Jan 18 2003, 10:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Unknown @ Jan 18 2003, 10:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Actually, I have found that the <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->(10 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2--> is wrong.

It should be <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1--> (num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

I mean, look at it... in a 5v5 game with no gorges (yet) are you getting 2 res a tick? (A tick in NS is 5-6 seconds) I think not.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Arg ... yea, sorry. Mixed up the per minute and per tick resources. It's
    <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->(10 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 2.3) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->
    income PER MINUTE, or 10 ticks. Or
    <!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->(1 + num_own_players * num_resnodes * 0.23) * num_enemy_players / num_own_players<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->
    per tick, if you like.

Sorry about that. You do get a minimum of 1 res per tick per team though.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--[PIMA]Wang Hung Lo+Jan 18 2003, 08:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([PIMA]Wang Hung Lo @ Jan 18 2003, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Both teams get starting res.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The marines get 100-110, and each alien gets around 10-13 (at least on the server I play on).