Binds / Hotkeys Etc

MotorskillsMotorskills Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10819Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Assume I nothing.....</div> I see a lot of references to binds and other things to make the physical playing of the game easier. But I haven't really got a clue what this is about or how I can go about setting up my own machine. Help please?!

Comments

• ShuflYShuflY Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8760Members
    'Binds' are basically keys on the keyboard, mouse or joystick that are associated with an action in the game. You can use the setup menu to configure your binds, or you could rebind keys in game in the console (press '~' to bring up the console, it's next to the number 1 key.)

Lets say you wanted to make your 'Q' key your attack button. In the console, you would type:

bind q "+attack"

If you want to see what a key is bound to, just do the bind command and key without putting any extra info. If you wanted to know what your K button does, try something like this:

bind k

And it will tell you what K is bound to. You can also bind non-alphanumeric keys by using thier name, like "space", "capslock", "control", "insert", etc...

If you do an internet search for "halflife, binds" you'll probably come up with some good guides as to all the different commands you can assign to a key, try looking for a guide to Natrual Selection binds. Hope this helps!
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
    there are lots of other fun things you can do with binding. If you have 2 people who play NS on your computer but use different control setups, you can make a bind that changes all your binds depending on whose is playing.

you can bind keys to commands that aren't in the controls menu.
    Ex: bind q jointeamone

now everytime you press your q key you will run the command jointeamone. Now you you can beat everyone to marines in the readyroom! this also works for jointeamtwo.

there are tons of comands and i definately don't know em all. Do what shufly said and search for half life binds, or maybe someone on this forum will be kind enough to post a link? I know i saw one somewhere but i can't remember what post.
  • AcrylicAcrylic Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6400Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=19545' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...=ST&f=1&t=19545</a>