Just Idle Curiosity

MayIPostNowMayIPostNow Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 11001Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What happens when 4 hives?</div> Does anyone know what happens when there are more than 3 hives up?

does the game go "AAAaaaArGh NOOOOOOO" or is it just tallied in?

Comments

• OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    The Game is curious enough (to avoid the word "buggy") without thoose "experiments".
    So it wont make a big difference trying this or not.
  • sySTEm1sySTEm1 Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11222Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ollj+Jan 4 2003, 11:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ollj @ Jan 4 2003, 11:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Game is curious enough (to avoid the word "buggy") without thoose "experiments".
    So it wont make a big difference trying this or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    come again?

ahem.. i think someone is actually attempting to make a map with 5 hives in, but the karaa can only choose 3 of the five, once they are chosen the other two become locked and redundant liek. still not sure what wud actually happen with the game engine?? erm perhaps a mapper cud try it liek. see if ns goes 'nus dunt liek it'
  • VyvnVyvn Join Date: 2002-08-24 Member: 1226Members
    I remember a picture from when some server admin started spamming hives everywhere. As I recall, it actually looked ok--new hives readings were made on the right-hand side, complete with the location of new hives (there were about 8 hives total.
  • AngelAngel Join Date: 2002-07-09 Member: 902Members
    tommyd is the mapper doing the 5 hives i think
  • SamRSamR Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1382Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--sySTEm-+Jan 4 2003, 04:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (sySTEm- @ Jan 4 2003, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ahem.. i think someone is actually attempting to make a map with 5 hives in, but the karaa can only choose 3 of the five, once they are chosen the other two become locked and redundant liek.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a stupid idea. What if the Marines take 2 of them, and then the Karaa take the other 3. The two that the Marines have taken would just lock up??
  • Mr_HeadcrabMr_Headcrab Squee&#33;~ Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9392Members, Constellation
    I thought a 5 hive map was started for preperation for the Aliens on aliens game
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--SamR+Jan 5 2003, 05:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SamR @ Jan 5 2003, 05:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--sySTEm-+Jan 4 2003, 04:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (sySTEm- @ Jan 4 2003, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ahem.. i think someone is actually attempting to make a map with 5 hives in, but the karaa can only choose 3 of the five, once they are chosen the other two become locked and redundant liek.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a stupid idea. What if the Marines take 2 of them, and then the Karaa take the other 3. The two that the Marines have taken would just lock up??<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The goal is to select 3 of the 5 BEFORE the game starts, or AT start - closing those 2 dead hives so NO ONE can get in there.
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    I think 4 or 5 hives in a map might be a fun thing to try if the game allows it. It'd certainly make the marines change their tactics, and would give the aliens a fair chance still if the marines locked down a couple of hives.
  • SamRSamR Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1382Members
    Ah, so as soon as the game starts, 3 hives would be chosen for the match, and the other two closed?

Fairy nuff....!
  • DoombringerDoombringer Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8679Members, Constellation
    The aliens shouldn't choose which hives to open/close, the effect should be random. Allowing a choice will lead to one or two "perfect" sets of hive choices and players will only pick those :/

"omg it's <mapname> pick these 3 and we will win!!!11"

As we all know, the existing maps have led to a few repeated 'strategies' for building/securing hives on both the marines and aliens side... randomization of a 5-hive map would keep some things fresher, longer. Like a Zip-loc.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2003
    !
    Cheats on, use RCBot to give yourself noclip(noclip_mode playername), then 'give team_hive'
    omgz0r
    I think thats it, Ill test it right now.
    EDIT: oops, gives error.
    Precache can only be done in spawn functions
  • LinkLink Join Date: 2002-10-16 Member: 1510Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Doombringer+Jan 6 2003, 07:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Doombringer @ Jan 6 2003, 07:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The aliens shouldn't choose which hives to open/close, the effect should be random. Allowing a choice will lead to one or two "perfect" sets of hive choices and players will only pick those :/

"omg it's <mapname> pick these 3 and we will win!!!11"

As we all know, the existing maps have led to a few repeated 'strategies' for building/securing hives on both the marines and aliens side... randomization of a 5-hive map would keep some things fresher, longer. Like a Zip-loc.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It would be effected by where the first hive shows up, as this would be random.

You would need different strats for each possible first hive senario, and imo, most pub "players" just arn't smart enough to remember 5 different plans.