Hand-railing Blocks Your Shots?

ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
please delete this post if this has been mentioned before. i noticed some hand rails don't let you shoot through the air part. they block your shots as if the air part was really some invisible, indestructable glass. i don't know if some railing can be shot through. i don't know if this is a map error or half-life error or feature or what.

Comments

• Crazed-OneCrazed-One Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7027Members
    Nope havent seen it mentioned, must be some permanent umbra, invisible to the eye? I have sawn it too.

Trooly i haf.
  • Limited80Limited80 Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2046Members
    It has to do with the way railing are built, it could be done differently but that would mean more cpu. ;o
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    Actaully, it's just the way the mapper builds it, and the type of func_wall rendering mode he/ she uses.

It wouldn't have anything to do with cpu time. Planes counts, maybe, but not CPU time.
  • GreyPawsGreyPaws Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8659Members
    its the worst on Ventilation Hive (forgot the map damn) the RT at the vent hive is surrounded by thin pipes (hadrail looking things) and you cant shoot, or hop through them, even though it looks like an ONOs can easily go between em
  • Hang_LooseHang_Loose Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7775Members
    All the rails in ns_eclipse are true, like you can shoot through the openings, which I found as quite the surprise.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Different mappers used different approaches as their needs demanded; cutting down planes, or clipnodes, or whatever was usually the cause for or against shoot-through handrails. I'm not a mapper so I won't try to get into the technicals of it. Regardless, most of the mappers tried to be consistant within their own maps; for instance, you can't shoot through most (if not all) railings in NS_Nothing, while you can shoot through most/all railings on NS_Hera.
  • InsidiousInsidious Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9553Members
    Whether or not you can shoot through them depends on how the mapper does it - either it's a solid piece with transparent sections, so it LOOKS like railing, but is really a wall, or they can go through the painstaking process of making a real railing, which is more realistic, but increases the poly count (number of faces visable, more = more taxing on your cpu/video card). You just have to shoot a rail and remember if it lets bullets through or not. It's a mapper thing, not a mod thing. The maps would have to be changed and re-relased to change it, since it's a physical object that would be changing, so it's not likely to change anytime soon.
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4340Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Insidious+Dec 17 2002, 11:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Insidious @ Dec 17 2002, 11:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Whether or not you can shoot through them depends on how the mapper does it - either it's a solid piece with transparent sections, so it LOOKS like railing, but is really a wall, or they can go through the painstaking process of making a real railing, which is more realistic, but increases the poly count (number of faces visable, more = more taxing on your cpu/video card). You just have to shoot a rail and remember if it lets bullets through or not. It's a mapper thing, not a mod thing. The maps would have to be changed and re-relased to change it, since it's a physical object that would be changing, so it's not likely to change anytime soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or, a third method, where they can make the railing out of two pieces, one that looks like a railing (with a railing texture on it with transparent parts for the "holes), and one that is invisible but blocks players. With this railing, you can't walk through it, but you can shoot through the whole thing (metal parts and all).
  • RhoadsToNowhereRhoadsToNowhere i r 8 Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 33Members
    The generally accepted method of making a rail that can be shot through but not walked through involves using a func_illusionary to serve as the visible rail, while using a clip brush to block the player's motion. This does increase the leaf count (I believe), but there's another problem with it. Skulks can't climb up clip brushes, and since the only thing that is physically "there" with a rail like that is a clip brush, the end result is that it makes it impossible for the Skulk to climb over the rail. So it's kind of a tradeoff, and it's really up to the mapper.