Server Hosts?

confidentialconfidential Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9720Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Where do you run your server from?</div> I've been looking into getting a 16 man east coast server for NS. I've checked several server providers and it seems most will not run NS because it is too processor intensive and the rest are way overpriced compared to other games (ie $200 per month from artofwarcentral), again because NS requires so much processing power.

Does anyone know of / use a good server provider for a reasonable price?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• confidentialconfidential Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9720Members
    cmon there are upwards of 500 servers out there. One of you is reading this.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    A lot are probably on private machines.
  • BytorBytor Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9323Members
    You could rent a box from one of the dedicated server providers for 100 bucks a month, and run whatever you want on it. Obviously, you'd be responsible for all aspects of server administration, not just the NS server itself.

This is what I do, and I use RackShack.net ... I have a P4 2.0 Ghz, 512 RAM and I pay $140 per month. I host some commercial web sites on the machine, which cover the costs for me. I run a 16 player NS server, and some people do complain about short intermittent lag spikes, so it would probably work better if the machine was dedicated to NS, and didn't have web, mail, and DNS servers on it too. But of for the most part, the game runs nicely. We play nearly every night. The server is called "Darwin Be Damned".

I'm just hoping they fix the horrible CPU usage. I've heard it's worse on Linux than on Windows, so you might consider a Windows machine if it's mainly for NS. RackShack has packages starting at $99 a month, and I believe I've seen a few other companies that offer similar pricing. I can only speak for RackShack though, and I must say their service and support has been exceptional. I've had no connectivity issues either.
  • mojojojomojojojo Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2017Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->cmon there are upwards of 500 servers out there. One of you is reading this. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh, possibly they're in the server admins forum.