[Bug] Audio crackles and slows down [Subnautica Below Zero May-2021 44290] RESOLVED

MarsdendMarsdend Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270356Members
edited May 2021 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
RESOLVED. I reset Windows and everything started working again. Lost my save file though :(

I've been having some audio problems that started up on the 18th of May. I've tried a lot of things to get this to work right.

First off, here's a link to a video I uploaded with what I'm talking about:

This started a couple days ago. The game is... almost unplayable, the audio is that bad. Voices are distorted. I tried using my headphones instead of my speakers, I've already uninstalled/reinstalled my audio drivers, disabled and reenabled one by one my audio drivers, and rolled back my audio drivers... I downloaded the optional Windows Updates, I uninstalled and re-installed Subnautica, I cleared my Steam game cache (and deleted my previous 1 hour save on accident, whoops)... I played around with my bit rates and sample depths, but my speakers and headphones don't support the recommended 24 bit 44100 hz setting. It's weird though, since the audio just started acting up randomly and has been this way for 2 days. The problem seems isolated to Subnautica. Youtube, Spotify, Minecraft, Nova Drift, Shadow of War, Civilization 6 all work fine. It's not a lagging problem, I lowered all the graphics settings as low as they could go and set the resolution as low as it could go and the problem remains. It's not a v-sync problem either, tried disabling it in both Subnautica and Geforce and nothing.

I have no idea what caused this. I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with the game, since everything else seems to work just fine. Any help would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work! I even contacted a local computer technician, and he couldn't figure out the problem either.