Below Zero: I'm Underwater and I can't Swim

rockrobsterrockrobster Join Date: 2019-02-12 Member: 250854Members
edited May 2021 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I just started playing Below Zero. After visiting the Delta base for the first time, I went down to the shore and entered the water to return to the Pod, and found that I could not swim. Also, oxygen levels were not going down, so I wasn't dying from lack of air. Since I was playing the game mode that didn't require food or water, I don't know if those were affected.

I was basically moving underwater the way that I would on land, unable to swim, and only able to walk on the underwater surface and other solid features. Since I couldn't traverse all of the undersea terrain and obstacles to reach the Pod, or even get back to the shores of Delta base (I had wandered away from its shores too far and deep to be able to make it back up), I killed myself underwater by jumping several times from heights.

The swimming issue was fixed when Death sent me back to the Pod, but with all resources (minerals, etc.) gathered in that instance gone. Interestingly, non-resource items from Delta base, such as posters, equipment, etc. remained in my inventory. Also, all of the experience milestones, such as data, blueprints, etc. also persisted intact.

I did some online search on the issue, and couldn't find very much with regard to Below Zero. However, this phenomenon seems to also have been a problem in the original Subnautica game, going back years.

Is this a common issue for players in Below Zero?

And also, is there a better way to get rid of the problem than forcing character death, especially one that avoids losing inventory items like gathered resources? (There might even be situations where, if you've fallen into a deep undersea hole somewhere, that you won't be able to get to heights to jump to kill the character.)

Any feedback or comments from others would be appreciated.

Comments

• OGBabysitterOGBabysitter Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270354Members
    I have had the same issue, though it started when exiting my underwater base. I'm on survival mode. Food and water are still working properly, so I could very easily starve. I'll try Dying to see if it resets.
  • OGBabysitterOGBabysitter Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270354Members
    Good news. When I died, it reset and I am now able to swim.
  • squishysquashsquishysquash Join Date: 2021-05-19 Member: 270357Members
    I had this glitch happen to me in the first subnautica while docking my seamoth in a moonpool. I solved it by building a tube with a hatch and entering it. Strangely, it didn't put me inside the tube I made, I just started swimming. It's like the game thought I was walking around in a seabase.