More Realistic Struggle Against The Infection

AkillibirisiAkillibirisi Turkey Join Date: 2021-03-09 Member: 268184Members
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

After playing through Subnautica second time, I couldn’t help but share this idea of mine about how fatal infection mechanics that the player suffers from should have worked.

Just after contracting the bacterium the PDA warns us that we must seek treatment as soon as possible, it even provides the incubation time of bacterium as 2 weeks later on. Clearly, occasional exposure to Enzyme 42 is not enough to stop the infection from progressing. Yet it is not a real threat, we’re actually free from any time constraints in our gameplay and take our time as much as we want without the cure. Also all required elements to implement such a feature are already in the game, thus it would not be much of a burden to bear. I thought of something like this to counteract this issue:

Enzyme carrier peppers coming out of alien vents are carrying the impure Enzyme 42 from the Sea Emperor Leviathan in the Primary Containment Facility, which inhibits the bacterium and stops its progression in the host. In a new gameplay feature, the player may be tempted to explore one of these alien vents then the PDA could inform the player about how enzyme carrier peppers could be utilized in fighting the disease. Then the player can be forced to consume enzyme carriers, or to use carriers to synthesize suppressant drugs or shots and use them at regular intervals to survive throughout the game until receiving the pure Enzyme 42 from Sea Emperor Juveniles and completely curing the disease. Self-Scan feature may also be enhanced to track infection status and to see when the player should take the drugs.

I don’t really think there would be any modifications to the game after all this time; I just wanted to share this idea anyway to see what others think about this particular feature of the game.

Please share your opinions.