Focus For Aliens/marines

CanonfodderCanonfodder Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7398Members
<div class="IPBDescription">making the game a happy medium</div> this is more of a future game balance issue.

it seems to me that the nature of each team needs to center around 2 concepts

marine: working as a team and holding territory

alien: rushing and taking territory away from marines.

That is marines aren't meant to be a rushing team...they are meant to be a slow moving, build as you go team that plays resource control.

aliens too play resource control, but they really shouldn't be able to defend their resources, just slow the marines down, thus they focus more on keeping the marines in place or pushing them back until they can really do sever damage.

I think there is a general over arching point that needs to be recognized... its fun to die as a marine, not as much fun to die as an alien. When you are dying as a marine and your spawn is filled with umbra and fades are running everywhere, thats entertaining. Not so getting sieged and not knowing where the hell it is or rushing futily into a group of 4 marines with hmgs.

that is marines lives are cheap they should be respawing quickly, but they should also be fairly weak until they get upgrades/real equipment. Aliens should be strong to start, but incapable of a death blow until they have at least a good number of fades and most the map or a third hive.

I mean I think the most entertaining part of the game was the turret factory movement with marines in 1.02 where sulks would constantly be throwing themselves into it, while marines tried desperatly to keep it up, followed by fades vs hmgs and heavies.

What is preventing that right now?

2 things:
1) weak sulks
2) teleporters early game

its sort of a combined problem, as 3 marines can take down any number of sulks while its practically impossible for a sulk to kill a marine if he is moving at all.

I mean I know a guy who is skilled on the soul basis of his ability to flip out as a marine and keep away from sulks

I would like to see a return to the following situations
marine gets distance on sulks = dead sulk
sulks gets proximity on marine = dead marine

Usually when it holds to that its a very entertaining game. Right now proxmity does not garuntee a kill or even survival. I dont think an even record as a sulk early game should be seen as exceptional....

on a similar note the teleporters give marines practically infinite access to an area with their spawn rate. Everytime you kill a marine in the area 4 come to replace him while he is respawning in 3 seconds. I dont mind the 3 second respawn, that should keep the spawn hard to take, however the infantry portal should become a late game function.

It is almost impossible as alien to stop this:
marine charge outside of starting hive, build infantry portal and charge.

likewise it almost garuntees the abilty to hold 2 hives early.

In general aliens shouldn't be at the mercy of the marines until they get a second hive, it should be a fist fight.

the final blow shouldn't come around until the 3rd hive is taken, or there are only 2 hives out and marines have many hmgs welders and ha.

I think the game is almost balanced right now when marines dont go teleporter. I would still be nice to see stronger sulks though.

I know the sulks rush was a problem, but I felt like that just encouraged marines to work as a team. Now marines dont even need to defend their spawn if they have a infantry portal...

Just my 2 cents