Subnautica: Below Zero Relics of the Past Update - Subnautica

SystemSystem Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Posts: 466 vanilla
imageSubnautica: Below Zero Relics of the Past Update - Subnautica

A new update has arrived for Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access. Experience the story in new detail, with full voice acting implemented, a new creature lurking in the Void, further...

Read the full story here

Comments

  • Simi_SlakkinenSimi_Slakkinen Members Join Date: 2019-12-08 Member: 256236Posts: 12 Fully active user
    Ok, please just fix the Xbox version of Subnautica now. It is still game-breakingly bad
  • axeformenaxeformen Members Join Date: 2020-10-30 Member: 265061Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    VR Support? Subnautica 1 was by far the best vr experience I've come across and VR really was the best way to experience the game. Even if the support is barebones, I'd still be worth it.
  • WaltyWalty FranceMembers Join Date: 2020-10-30 Member: 265052Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    I'm so damn hyped !!
  • Koolade89Koolade89 Members Join Date: 2020-10-30 Member: 265065Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    So what, Asian lives don't matter?....
  • fhartman76fhartman76 USAMembers Join Date: 2020-10-30 Member: 265068Posts: 1 Fully active user
    I have to admit, I'm scared of the direction the story is taking here. In short, in Sub 1 the player was the protagonist. Now it looks like someone named Robin is the protagonist, which means you moved the experience (as far as story is concerned) from the first person to the third person. There are games that pull this off (Witcher series, Good and Evil, ect...), but I think we have to ask yourselves if Subnautica is that type of game. Are you a Witcher or are you more of a undersea StarDew Valley / Don't Starve? I don't know. All I can say is that what appealed to me about Sub1 was that it was an Open World Survival game WITH a story and a purpose (I loath playing games without a purpose or ending). BUT the story was oh so subtle. It didn't beat you over the head (well, except that time when the panel came loose in the intro). And the main character was pretty generic. I (the player) was allowed to fill the generic void. I care about Robin (I guess), but I would rather care from a distance ... like one of those stories you hear via recording or a character you meet in passing. Yep....this is all ego centric, I guess, and I could be wrong. But I'm scared.
    CirisElxKyzarvs
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UKMembers Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Posts: 17 Advanced user
    fhartman76 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm scared of the direction the story is taking here. In short, in Sub 1 the player was the protagonist. Now it looks like someone named Robin is the protagonist, which means you moved the experience (as far as story is concerned) from the first person to the third person. There are games that pull this off (Witcher series, Good and Evil, ect...), but I think we have to ask yourselves if Subnautica is that type of game.

    Have to agree unfortunately. I've put about 6 hours in today (made a base, met Marg for first time, have Al-An) - the voice acting of Robin is... I'll come back to that if I find a positive spin for it. I do like the PDA voice, but the manager guy at Delta base? I know he's meant to sound like a bit of a pain, but wowsers...

    As fartman says, it pulls you out of the story making you an observer rather than the protagonist.

    I am also really struggling with the basic plot flaw. It's a known planet with known resources, Robin is a survivor who got caught out and had to last 6 months with some rope or something previously. SO WHY DIDN'T SHE BRING ANY BLUEPRINTS WITH HER? Even a 5-second 'oh-bugger the fabricator has been reset to default' in the opening cinematic would have helped paper over this plothole I've been trying to forget for the past 5 hours since it occured to me. It's not as bad as Raiders of the Lost Ark if-Indy-had-done-nothing-the-nazis-would-have-died-anyway, but it is really frustrating to have no motivation that makes sense to find / research tech.

    Solid 7/10 for me, but I think originally the game had potential for 9.5. I'll still play and finish it, but I won't replay it dozens of times I like the original I don't think - partly 'coz of the above, partly 'coz I find the seatruck so damn miserable compared to the 'moth.

    Good luck with the rest, hope it comes together well.
    CirisElxSoggynoodlesTNT
  • CirisElxCirisElx Elche, Alicante (SPAIN)Members Join Date: 2020-10-31 Member: 265109Posts: 2 Fully active user
    Seems interesting, Thanks!!!! And one question. The game is going to be added to GeForce Now again? It is my only way to play it. In fact I bought the game because it was in GeForces Now services jajaja However, great game!
  • tbear88tbear88 USA, texasMembers Join Date: 2020-10-30 Member: 265076Posts: 6 Fully active user
    Fix ps4 save bug plz plz plz plz plz plz. I'm so sad I cant play a game I literally paid for
  • ScatteredAcesScatteredAces Members Join Date: 2020-11-01 Member: 265115Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    Does anyone have the game on Discord? Mine is not updating, it is still on the August build.
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UKMembers Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Posts: 17 Advanced user
    A lot further in now (not sure about spoiler rules here - land base, scanned the big frozen chap, visited all Alterra bases and the greenhouse) - Robin largely shuts up after early game while you are base building and finding tech she should have brought with her, which is a relief. The main problem is that her motivation is meant to be the missing sister and it's never mentioned. We get endless NoCal existentialism conversations, concerns about finding a host and giggling at sea monkies, but Sam is hardly mentioned at all - Robin is unrelentingly jolly and there's no tension at all about putting her sibling to one side for a massive portion of the game. The PDA works as it isn't self-aware so can be the humour touchpoint and its jokes often misfiring almost make it seem more real, having Robin barely notice Sam is... well, it doesn't work for me at all. The obligatory LBGTQ+ romance is shoehorned in (not sure that any romance of any flavour was required in a solo survival game) but it's hardly a main plot point so no biggie, I feel there could have been a lot more polish to the tone and content of the script. If you want to reference modern relationships, I'd have made Sam a partner instead of sister for example.

    On the upside, the game looks and plays extremely well. I did another runthrough on S1 and finished the day before this patch came out, so the comparison was very clear to me. If the empty seatruck w/horsepower upgrade could sound like the 'moth it wouldn't feel so delivery-van utilitarian, but I get that's just me. Sure there's some polish still to come - recipes are scattered between the mod station, vehicle upgrade bay and standard fab in a way that doesn't make any sense at the moment for example - there's no reason at all for the vehicle upgrade bay at the moment other than cosmetic I don't think?. But yeah, dialogue aside, the bones of the game are utterly superb and a lot of the game looks and feels amazing. I'm still awful at driving the fox, so largely lumber about in the prawn on land. The spy pengling is useful and fun to use. It is a great game and technically miles beyond S1, that needs to be recognised - well done.



    Any chance of large rooms in S1? I'd happily pay for a cosmetic expansion that brought rooms and all the accompanying furniture items from BZ back into S1.


    Kyzarvs wrote: »
    fhartman76 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm scared of the direction the story is taking here. In short, in Sub 1 the player was the protagonist. Now it looks like someone named Robin is the protagonist, which means you moved the experience (as far as story is concerned) from the first person to the third person. There are games that pull this off (Witcher series, Good and Evil, ect...), but I think we have to ask yourselves if Subnautica is that type of game.

    Have to agree unfortunately. I've put about 6 hours in today (made a base, met Marg for first time, have Al-An) - the voice acting of Robin is... I'll come back to that if I find a positive spin for it. I do like the PDA voice, but the manager guy at Delta base? I know he's meant to sound like a bit of a pain, but wowsers...

    As fartman says, it pulls you out of the story making you an observer rather than the protagonist.

    I am also really struggling with the basic plot flaw. It's a known planet with known resources, Robin is a survivor who got caught out and had to last 6 months with some rope or something previously. SO WHY DIDN'T SHE BRING ANY BLUEPRINTS WITH HER? Even a 5-second 'oh-bugger the fabricator has been reset to default' in the opening cinematic would have helped paper over this plothole I've been trying to forget for the past 5 hours since it occured to me. It's not as bad as Raiders of the Lost Ark if-Indy-had-done-nothing-the-nazis-would-have-died-anyway, but it is really frustrating to have no motivation that makes sense to find / research tech.

    Solid 7/10 for me, but I think originally the game had potential for 9.5. I'll still play and finish it, but I won't replay it dozens of times I like the original I don't think - partly 'coz of the above, partly 'coz I find the seatruck so damn miserable compared to the 'moth.

    Good luck with the rest, hope it comes together well.

  • JamesPBuchananJamesPBuchanan Laurel, MDMembers Join Date: 2020-11-02 Member: 265156Posts: 2 Freshly registered user
    Honestly, the one thing I'd love to have is the option to build a Cyclops. The Seatruck with modules is what most hybrid ideas are. The worst of both worlds.
    Kyzarvs
  • CirisElxCirisElx Elche, Alicante (SPAIN)Members Join Date: 2020-10-31 Member: 265109Posts: 2 Fully active user
    CirisElx wrote: »
    Seems interesting, Thanks!!!! And one question. The game is going to be added to GeForce Now again? It is my only way to play it. In fact I bought the game because it was in GeForces Now services jajaja However, great game!

    Sorry!!! I have seen that it was some kind of error the last month. I am very glad both games are still in the services!
    lwllaceiscool
  • lwllaceiscoollwllaceiscool 10004 N 102nd east aveMembers Join Date: 2020-11-12 Member: 265415Posts: 2 Freshly registered user
    nice i love the game so far cant wait till xbox verson
  • lwllaceiscoollwllaceiscool 10004 N 102nd east aveMembers Join Date: 2020-11-12 Member: 265415Posts: 2 Freshly registered user
    age used to be 13 now its 10+ well more people
  • Krazyguy75Krazyguy75 Members Join Date: 2020-06-02 Member: 261576Posts: 2 Fully active user
    Gonna be honest, not too impressed with the Void Chelicerate. I feel like it needs something more... visible. The Ghost Leviathans were cool because they were so bioluminescent in such a dark area. I'm not a genius or anything, so my ideas are rough at best, but my thought:

    Instead of having the void just be open ocean, have it be a passage under a large iceberg area. Now, it has an excuse to be pitch black. Then, have the Void Chilicerate eyes give off search light like beams of light as it searches for you. When it finds you, they go yellow like its current eyes do.

    Anyways, I'm just spitballing ideas; the current version just doesn't feel as scary as the OG void.
  • SorenzorSorenzor Madrid, SpainMembers Join Date: 2020-04-04 Member: 259618Posts: 23 Advanced user
    Krazyguy75 wrote: »
    Gonna be honest, not too impressed with the Void Chelicerate. I feel like it needs something more... visible. The Ghost Leviathans were cool because they were so bioluminescent in such a dark area. I'm not a genius or anything, so my ideas are rough at best, but my thought:

    Instead of having the void just be open ocean, have it be a passage under a large iceberg area. Now, it has an excuse to be pitch black. Then, have the Void Chilicerate eyes give off search light like beams of light as it searches for you. When it finds you, they go yellow like its current eyes do.

    Anyways, I'm just spitballing ideas; the current version just doesn't feel as scary as the OG void.

    Yeah, I am not too fond of chelicerates in general. They look like giant prawns, I mean... I feel hungry when I see them, not afraid... I don't think that any recolor could make them too much better, your design looks cool in a first reading but trying to imagine it... that giant prawn with yellow eyes may look a bit ridiculous...

  • nuker1nuker1 Members Join Date: 2020-03-17 Member: 258842Posts: 4 Fully active user
    fhartman76 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm scared of the direction the story is taking here. In short, in Sub 1 the player was the protagonist. Now it looks like someone named Robin is the protagonist, which means you moved the experience (as far as story is concerned) from the first person to the third person.

    That's pretty good criticism. That being said, I think it can still work but it'll be a different experience. SBN1 was much more sand-boxy. Sure, it nudged you in the "right" direction, but you could still completely ignore it and not feel bad or like you weren't playing the game correctly.

    SBN2 has a much harder push, but as long as there are periods in the story where you aren't being pushed, it will still have it's sand-box feel in addition to a character-centric plot as opposed to a history/detective-centric plot. Of course, if at every point in the story, I'm being told: "go get this," "go visit this place," "you must get this upgrade" instead of "Hey, there might be something interesting in this general area" that would ruin the sandbox feel and, in my opinion, would be a different game completely instead of a sequel. And different doesn't equal bad, it just wouldn't be a SBN experience. It'd be like buying a ticket to a basketball game and, when you show up, it's a baseball game. I like both sports, but I still have expectations.
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UKMembers Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Posts: 17 Advanced user
    The issue I have is that the story makes no flippin' sense. "I was trapped for 6 months with some rope" but on a known planet with known resources Robin brought a pod with a fabricator but somehow didn't think to bring basic recipes like a Seaglide / Rebreather / Fabricator "I must find out what happened to my sister", but will happily talk existential drivel with an alien entity for eternity and when Robin *does* find out about sis it's passed off in one 30 second monologue.

    For me be bold - make the dead sis a partner instead of a sister (the LBGTQ+ add-in feels awfully added in and token). Add some dialogue that actually shows Robin cares and centre the story on that - not cute Al-An chats. Sub had one goal and was the better for it, BZ splits and if you take advantage of the sandbox, one half of the story becomes increasingly rediculous.

    I love Sub and BZ - I'd happily pay £15 for an update that adds large rooms + all the other fancy bits to Sub. I do feel extremely let down by the story on BZ. There's a million other bugs that I am presuming will get fixed, but the baked-in 'voiceover complete' message is really depressing. Roll on the mods that make more sense.
Sign In or Register to comment.