[QoL for Subzero] HUD Markers

AfqwaAfqwa Join Date: 2020-09-06 Member: 263825Members
edited October 2020 in Ideas and Suggestions
Since I notice there are already a few QoL of changes in Subzero (like not having to click a billion times to have to turn off the holographic display while keeping your lights on for the Seaglider), I figured I might as well suggest something else minor I'd like to see.

So this.
gdq4er1qcehc.jpg

I'm sure anybody who played the game by now knows how annoying it is to not have any concept of distance between these different HUD markers. Which of these pieces of scrap metal are the closest to you? Because they all have equal priority, your vision is all just yellow circles if there are enough items in the scan zone.

The same is true of beacons because it's annoying to have to look at a beacon that's 3 km away compete for attention with the marker that's only 200 m away and not having an easy way of picking the two apart. So it becomes quite easy to be disoriented.

And the simplest way to fix this is to have the size of the marker scale in size from the distance to the player (i.e. grows larger as you approach it and grows smaller as you move away). I can't imagine this would be very hard to implement since the HUD already tracks your distance to various markers anyway. I just want the HUD icons to scale appropriately with it.

Comments

• permeakrapermeakra Moscow/Russia Join Date: 2020-08-18 Member: 263386Members
    Afqwa wrote: »
    I'm sure anybody who played the game by now knows how annoying it is to not have any concept of distance between these different HUD markers. Which of these pieces of scrap metal are the closest to you? Because they all have equal priority, your vision is all just yellow circles if there are enough items in the scan zone.

As long as number of circles isn't too big, you can get a decent idea by strafing. The ones that shift most against background are the farthest away.
  • JeLinJeLin Join Date: 2020-11-05 Member: 265224Members
    edited November 2020
    Great idea! Let it shrink to a point at a range of about 250m. At the same time, the HUD could be cleansed of the ping denominator. If you don´t remember what you were searching for - tough luck...
  • LuftwaffelLuftwaffel Germany Join Date: 2014-07-09 Member: 197328Members, NS2 Playtester
    https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/87
    This mod adresses this isse excellently. It adds 1. a distance marker 2. scales the size with distance 3. reduces opacity with distance 4. Toggle scanner blibs on and off.
    I think this should be in the game by default. I like to have scanner rooms with 4 range upgrades. It can really clutter the screen.