Introducing Hiveskill 3.0: Per-Team and Commander Hiveskill (Thank you, Moultano!) - Natural Selecti

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2020 in NS2 General Discussion
imageIntroducing Hiveskill 3.0: Per-Team and Commander Hiveskill (Thank you, Moultano!) - Natural Selection 2

Community Developer Moultano, the creator of the original HiveSkill rating system that NS2 uses to approximate player skill levels and balance teams when shuffled, has been quietly tinkering and working...

Read the full story here

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • AntillesAntilles Pennsyltucky Join Date: 2020-10-17 Member: 264753Members
  • animus_voxanimus_vox poland Join Date: 2015-10-23 Member: 208699Members
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Thank You @moultano , this is awesome!
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Nice, but how can i see these stats separated? Observatory doesn't show them...yet?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    jrgn wrote: »
    Nice, but how can i see these stats separated? Observatory doesn't show them...yet?

I don't know if you ever will be able to... but I can say for sure that you won't be able to until it is at the very least... released XD
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited October 2020
    Kasharic wrote: »

I don't know if you ever will be able to... but I can say for sure that you won't be able to until it is at the very least... released XD

I thought it was implemented....the article just says "introduction"-@Kasharic use of emos: :|
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Kasharic wrote: »

I thought it was implemented....the article just says "introduction"-@Kasharic use of emos: :|

All good, it will be shipped with the next patch. Keep an eye on the announcements channel in discord for fast warning of when that will be :)
  • argentumargentum Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71234Members
    I have a concern.... I often jump in and out of the hive. Almost constantly as an alien commander. I also believe this is meta. So what happens then? Myself and my team doesn't get hive skill because I'm jumping in and out constantly?

I also tend to jump out of the marine chair from time to time to push a hive or to save a phase gate.

It seems to me that this would break the way it calculates the team averages, especially when as Alien commander, my goal is to be out as much as possible, while still being the commander.

"Hive will recognize that the teams were unbalanced and change the rewards for a win or loss appropriately to make them cancel out on average."
    argentum wrote: »
    I have a concern.... I often jump in and out of the hive. Almost constantly as an alien commander. I also believe this is meta. So what happens then? Myself and my team doesn't get hive skill because I'm jumping in and out constantly?

I also tend to jump out of the marine chair from time to time to push a hive or to save a phase gate.

It seems to me that this would break the way it calculates the team averages, especially when as Alien commander, my goal is to be out as much as possible, while still being the commander.

"Hive will recognize that the teams were unbalanced and change the rewards for a win or loss appropriately to make them cancel out on average."

Hive knows that you're the main commander, based on the time you spend in the hive/chair. It calculates this into how much elo you gain for what position and so on and so forth... I can't explain the math behind it, because its far too complex for me, but I've seen this kind of question answered mutliple times in conversations with playtesters, maptesters and in community development channels.

Basically, don't worry about your strats, Hive calculates effectively regardless of how you play, how late you join, if you try swapping teams etc, it will adjust peoples elo differently dependant on scenario, but will not push people for the choices of others.