Ice caves

EntropicEchoEntropicEcho Join Date: 2020-08-24 Member: 263528Members
I've only had this game for a couple weeks, but I've kind of kept an eye on the development process. I'm absolutely bowled over that it's somehow even more beautiful than the first one. I love the new biomes and creatures, and I can barely tear myself away from it.

However, after this last update, I noticed one of the changes was to the shoreline glaciers, which worried me a little because I had just packed my truck up to go build a surface base in this especially gorgeous ice cave that I found early on in my exploration. It had an entrance just above water near the emergency cache, and another that opened out onto the shore looking out at the Precursor power cord thingy, and the first time I went into that cave, the beauty of it took my breath away. I put a beacon right at the waterside entrance, and sure enough, when I went back after the update... the cave was gone, and the narrow path between the icebergs leading to it was now just a dead end. The other entrance was gone like it had never even been there, and after wondering if I had lost my mind, I started a new save file and went into the ghost mode so I could fly around and clip through everything to see if the cave had been moved. I ended up scouring the entire map, inside all of the mainland, every iceberg, looking for even just a similar cave, but there was nothing quite like it anywhere now.

Maybe it was because it was the first ice cave I encountered, but there was something really special about it. The ice just seemed extra smooth and glowed so realistically in the daylight. The main part of the cave had a big spiral ramp leading up to an opening in the ceiling, and there were some branching paths that I don't think went anywhere, they just kind of ended in little frozen waterfall shapes. But that big spiral room was the most perfect place to set up a base, perhaps too perfect for somewhere so easily found in the early stages of play, because there was no wildlife there, not even the plants or other geological details that can be found in the other ice caves, it was just a quiet, private place so easily missed. And there was no sign it had ever existed when I clipped into the glacier it should have been in.

I gotta admit I'm kinda heartbroken it didn't at least get moved to a farther-from-the-starting-point spot, like closer to Delta island, or the greenhouse. If I have one suggestion for this game, it's to bring that ice cave back somewhere, and maybe even make some more smaller ones like it in some of the big icebergs, or along the far glacier shorelines. I wish I'd gotten some screencaps of it, but I found this picture that's close to the special quality of the ice:
u78er2k20unt.jpg

Anyone else remember it? RIP to anyone who DID have a base there that probably glitched out or vanished after the update. I kinda expected to see others mentioning it, but I haven't seen anything. Still kinda wondering if I'm just crazy lol

Comments