[Bug] Lifepod 5 is clearly visible while underwater from hundreds of meters away, day & night

Deep_EuphoriaDeep_Euphoria Join Date: 2020-03-30 Member: 259341Members
Hi everyone,
Since I started playing Subnautica (latest stable version) I've experienced a bug whereby Lifepod 5's underbelly is clearly visible while I'm underwater and from a long way away, both day and night. It only disappears if there's landmass between me and the pod, so if I'm near the surface and there's no land blocking direct line of sight I can see the super bright orange inflatable ring and the underwater lights from hundreds and hundreds of meters away. obkxstpkhgf0.jpg
I was only around 80-100m from the pod when I took this picture but I can still see it clear as day from much much further away as long as my character has line of sight, it's even worse at night or if I'm diving deep as I can see this bright orange ring floating around in the pitch-black depths.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or a possible cause, anyone experienced this themselves? I did Google first but I couldn't find another bug report about this issue.

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Comments

• HxeecrtriicHxeecrtriic Join Date: 2020-04-01 Member: 259428Members
    Hey there, I have the exact same problem when I use the seamoth. The same thing happens with my base too. I personally am a ps4 user (yes I know, boo), but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the bug. I would really love it if someone had a solution to this problem.
  • FreakBoyFreakBoy Join Date: 2020-04-08 Member: 259779Members
    Yeah, I get a similar bug where I can see the starting life pod very clearly from long distances as long as I have Los.

I also get the bug where I can see the light from my base from any distance as long as I have Los.
    8o60wj2ycnsu.jpg

It would be really great if there was fix for these bugs as they really break immersion.

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    There's a mod that may help, if you're on PC. It's purpose is to improve performance, partly by reducing far-drawn items underwater. It doesn't specifically mention removing lifepod5, but it says "Subnautica also renders(draws) base components and other objects like the Cyclops and Seamoth up to 1700m away regardless of if the player is above the water or below the water. You can only see about 200m away while underwater because of the water haze, so the mod will only render objects within this distance when the player is underwater."

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/389