Airlock/forcefield mechanism

huggehbearhuggehbear Australia Join Date: 2019-08-29 Member: 254503Members
Has anyone else been bothered by a lack of an airlock, or some sort of forcefield in subnautica/below zero?
Whenever you enter a hatch, the prawn suit, or the seamoth, you jump straight in from the water.logically, your base/vehicle should flood at this point. I think this could be easily fixed by adding some sort of forcefield, or an airlock you have to pass through, or a drain of some sort. It just seems kind of ridiculous to me, when I open my 9 storey containment tank from a hatch on the bottom floor, that ALL the water magically stays inside.

Comments

• HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    jeah I noticed but I never thought about it....
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited March 2020
    You can already achieve this (at least partially) by limiting yourself to place hatches only on I-compartments with an attached bulkhead...

xwlcapn89biu.png

The animation of a flooded base already exists and it's already blocked by bulkheads. So it would be quite 'easy' for the devs to use this animation whenever the player enters the base.

m7wtxo0sluik.png

But to be honest: I would prefer the convenience not to wait until the room is drained whenever I enter or exit a base / sub.

And to actual see 'force fields' would be a bit too much for my taste. I already dislike them on Architect bases, and I would question why I can't use them for all kind of other things as well...
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    For bases, a hatch on the bottom of an I-compartment would give decent realism, as it would work like a Moonpool. The only issue is that Moonpools stop working when you get too deep, since too much air pressure would be required.
  • ZiusdraZiusdra WA Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258646Members
    I like the idea in principle a lot, but I really don't want the game to be slowed down by my entering and existing the base. I tend to do a lot of it, especially when I'm doing inventory management and/or grinding for resources.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited March 2020
    @huggehbear

I found out that 'no mans sky' has underwater bases with force fields. So maybe that's more what you want. I still don't like it though. I would ask myself if fish could swim through the force field and why to waste so much energy for so little convenience.

I actually like the claustrophobic character of bulkheads a lot. That's why I would rather hope for larger / opaque hatches like the round bulkheads of the cyclops.

I'd love to build a base that is completely isolated, with massive bulkheads and massive wall reinforcements. If I could then place my own lights rather than to switch power on/off, I'd be happy. Just imagine a long I-compartment hallway sparely illuminated by red lights... >:)