Below Zero - Reclaiming Existing Bases

GreyfairerGreyfairer Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229937Members
I played through the original Subnautica early and through its development.

I held off on Below Zero until just recently wanting a 'more content' experience.

Now I understand that anytime a storyline exists in a sandbox type game things can go a bit wonky as far as player progression in that story goes. You can discover and area or item before the story leads you there with the result being the player is inserted in the middle of the narrative. It can cause some confusion.

In my case I played as I expect most veteran Subnautica players will; I scoured the sea beds going as deep as I could to find fragments and goodies. I looted shipwrecks (great idea btw on the rusted hulks, I just hope there will be more such places big and small) took resources and found fragments. Built a cozy base, a sea truck and Prawn before I even got around to visiting the antenna to repair it.

And that is where I ran into a huge, at least to me, narrative problem which was compounded on finding Omega.

Why was I building a base when there were perfectly fine ones all around? Rocket island still had solar panels and Omega had a nuclear reactor (which I had cores for). I had a repair tool and materials so why wasn't I just able to move in to one of these?

Obviously the motivation for the player is different this time around than in the original; more discovery than survival I would argue. But something as glaring as this base issue is bothersome.

Now this could have been discussed already and maybe there is going to be a change as things move forward; something that tells the player "you cant live here".

So does this bother anyone else?

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Greyfairer wrote: »
    ...So does this bother anyone else?

Kinda. I wish I could at least deconstruct things for their materials after they've served their story purpose, but there's a lore-given reason why we can't.

• spiritchanspiritchan USA Join Date: 2020-01-07 Member: 257031Members
    I actually agree with this.
    Being able to repair bases (at least the ones that look like they could be repaired... not the kind with stuff growing on it) would be a good idea... Or being able to scavange the bases for raw parts.
  • T0NKAT0NKA Join Date: 2020-01-17 Member: 257242Members
    I agree, I ran into the same issue. I started building things only to find some of them later. I also found it odd that some objects were scannable in some bases but not others.