New GUI rework could use some improvements

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Overall I like the look of the new main menu GUI but feel it is missing some things:

1) The NS2 Wiki link in the top left should pulsate orange or something when a new build has been released and indicate it with text next to it. Ie "v329 released". This would last for a week or so unless the player clicks it to open the wiki. I liked the news popping up in the previous menu version, but I imagine its easier to maintain when keeping it in the wiki format.

2) The Profile Info pullout looks nice, but the ranking system needs a 'legend' so players can see how far they are from achieving a new skill icon on the scoreboard. Just showing the rank numbers and XP doesn't tell me a lot. Maybe add some other skill rubrics (or a link to them) on that screen as well.

3) A popup that appears when clicking 'play' after a patch has been applied that asks the player wants to enable any mods again since they've been disabled. I noticed a lot of players confused/raging that their settings had been changed after the patch including myself. Re-enabling the NS2+ mod (assuming its updated) before joining a match would help with this.

4) Love the graphics options descriptions. I always liked it when games have that (Starcraft 2 being a great example, remember that game?).
The 'vertical sync' options could use one of these text descriptions to pop up to indicate what it does, although I imagine most gamers are familiar with it.

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I personally think it is weird that when you are on a server the I/O sign just quits the menu and not the game. I think that is kinda misleading.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I personally think it is weird that when you are on a server the I/O sign just quits the menu and not the game. I think that is kinda misleading.

Also I searched way longer than I'd've liked to to find 'Disconnect' since I expected 'exit' to end the game, not the session.