Sentinel mod: A marine training sandbox

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited July 2019 in Modding
Greetings,

I have been working on a mod aimed at providing a training sandbox for marines in order to learn and refine how they play in the early game up to the end game. I consider this mod now ready to be advertised and used by more players.

The rules of the mod are rather simple: As a marine, you need to kill all the skulk eggs on the map and use the phase gate. You start without upgrades and with a limited amount of lives. Each time you die a research will be unlocked. You can also unlock more lives once you are out by killing 5 skulks in a raw without dying, as an intend to reward staying alive.

You can vote for the difficulty that suits you the most and set the AI to be in easy, normal or hardcore. Expect hardcore bots to ambush, pack up, parasite and dodge properly (the average elo required to beat hardcore has been t6 so far :p). With harder difficulties skulks are more accurate will miss and the faster they will react.

You can also vote for "training", which is hardcore but where you get all the tech from the start and don't suffer any lives restrictions. If you just need to train your shotgun, test some new mouse settings or farm it's there for you as well. For further challenges you can type "meatshot" in console: it will deny any shotgun shot not instantly killing a skulk. If you want to train your shotgun firing timing the hard way.

The mod is actually hosted on several servers and can be played alone.

Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1227576722
Gameplay footage #1:
Gameplay footage #2:

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's super fun!

It's come a long way from the early tests, and I hope you keep updating it and adding new features!
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2019
    Evil bots are now even more evil:
    Sans_titre.png
    Sans_titre.png
    Sans_titre.png
    Sans_titre.png

You can also drill your aim on "The Thirsty Onos # Sentinel" by switching to the map ns2_range and vote for either "training"(a2/w2) or "hardcore"(a0/w0) for a challenge. Skulks will have 116eHP and celerity (equiv of bio5/6 and no carapace). If you are alone skulks will spawn in wave of 3, and respawn once they are all dead. You will also get resupplied on health and ammo automatically after a clear. Finally you can draw your axe if you don't want to be attacked.
    Yes they are out-dodging my own aim.
    Sans_titre.png