HELP! Cannot use laser cutter on a door/repair tool on a breach in Aurora!

MasterReaverMasterReaver New Zealand Join Date: 2019-05-07 Member: 252784Members
edited July 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I'm currently doing a challenge run: Hardcore difficulty, Realistic Recipies Mod (with increased fragment count), Nitrogen Mod and Radiation Challenge Mod.

After numerous failed starts and hours of game time I've finally gotten to a point where I can try and repair the breach in the Aurora - once I've done the penalties from the Radiation Challenge will fade and my life will get vastly easier in-game. But when I tried to laser-cut through the door from the Seamoth bay that leads to the reactor, it started cutting, got to 17%, then made the sound used when a tool runs out of battery (note, the tool isn't out of battery and still works elsewhere) and stopped cutting the door. After that, I could no longer interact with that door at all.

I've seen this bug before in a previous playthrough, where it affected a door I was trying to repair, but never mind, there's another way through there. I took the other entrance into the Aurora, and managed to get into the drive room. I repaired two of the breaches, but when the third one reached 40%, same thing: sound like a tool running out of battery and the breach becomes non-interactive.

Going away and coming back to the area doesn't help. I don't want to cheat - that was the whole point of this challenge run - but this is ridiculous and I'm genuinely angry.

What can I do? I can't wait for the next patch or play on experimental as that will make my mods stop working. I don't want to cheat by using the console. I don't want to clear the cache on the entire game world and lose my bases. Is there anything at all I can do? Can you reset JUST the Aurora so I can try again? Or is there some known workaround?

EDIT: Never mind, this isn't a bug in this case. I have indeed had a bug very similar to this in a previous playthrough, where a repairable door in a wreck near the Aurora simply couldn't be repaired - and that IS a bug - but I incorrectly thought that's what happened this time too.
It's actually a side effect of the Radiation Challenge mod making batteries run out very fast in irradiated areas. My laser tool was almost completely out after cutting through just one door, and the repair tool has much more limited life as well.