Visual Hit Feedback

Vice_VersaVice_Versa Michigan Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220637Members
edited May 2019 in Ideas and Suggestions
The current "hit feedback" feels very flat and unsatisfying. It is one of the most glaring things I don't like about the actual combat in the game. There is no "weight" to hitting enemy players. The players models hardly flinch from being hit and there is barely any gore.

I strongly believe someone should add a visual hit feedback to the game. Just a slightly transparent 'red sheen' across the player model for a millisecond after being hit. (maybe even the same thing on buildings)

I guarantee it would make the combat feel way more satisfying on both sides.

I understand there is already a 'hit sound' and a 'crosshair spike', as well as the 'enemy health bars', but none of them add to the satisfaction of making contacting with the enemy player model.

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Vice_Versa wrote: »
    there is already a 'hit sound' and a 'crosshair spike'

These two should be more than enough.
  • Vice_VersaVice_Versa Michigan Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220637Members
    edited May 2019
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Vice_Versa wrote: »
    there is already a 'hit sound' and a 'crosshair spike'

These two should be more than enough.

They don't add to the visual satisfaction of the fight though. Both of those seettings just give you information about the hit. I'm saying that the combat itself feels like an Alpha/WIP. Everything has little to no impact when being hit.

Like, you're shooting heavy weapons and slashing each other and the player models are totally stagnant. It feels flat and unimpressive.

I just think a red glint would just be way more satisfying. It would fit into the RTS nature of the game.

It would also help the commanders understand what is actually going on in the fight below them as they watch.

Bare minimum, there should be something like that for Aliens. It would definitely help newer players understand where the hitbox for the Aliens attacks are, without having to spend hundreds of hours getting a feel for it.

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    As long as its optional and visual only, I'd agree with any competitive disadvantage you want to add for yourself. Pretty sure we have hit markers in response to being hit though?

Flinching and knock backs should be out of the question. It might be fun to the player dealing it, but its definitely annoying to the person receiving it. If anything, we should remove it from onos as well.

I don't mean to hijack your topic, but I'd take any opportunity to remind the devs that HP bars suck, since they can't decide on how often we have to remind them that we still care but we also shouldn't bring up the topic because it will just be a rehash.
    edited May 2019
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Flinching and knock backs should be out of the question. It might be fun to the player dealing it, but its definitely annoying to the person receiving it. If anything, we should remove it from onos as well.

I don't mean to hijack your topic, but I'd take any opportunity to remind the devs that HP bars suck, since they can't decide on how often we have to remind them that we still care but we also shouldn't bring up the topic because it will just be a rehash.

I don't mean any 'knock back' or anything like that. Just an optional 'flash/glint' on the player model when hit. I just feel it would add to the fast paced arcade-like nature of the combat.

If anything, just add a clearer/larger spark or gore effect when you hit something. Anything is better than what it is now.

Also, I do agree with the HP bars. I've felt that it takes an element of depth away from the game and also throws some of the overall balance off.

Basically, knowing each others heath, right before, during or after a fight will change how people react.

I think it also buffs aspects of the Aliens, especially the skill ceiling for the Fade and the Lerk. They are both all about 'hit and run', so being able to tell, which out of the 3 Marines in the room next to you is 1-2 strikes from being killed is information gold.

So, a decent Fade player will be more likely to risk attacking the 3 Marines and actually succeeding killing the lowest HP one while being able to escape, rather than not knows which of the 3 is lowest HP and not attack them.

This is when you get ridiculous Fade players that have insane K/D ratios at the end of the match because no one can kill them. Being able to see the Marines HP means they never make a mistake with their positioning. They know when to run, when to attack and which Marine to hit first as soon as they enter a room.

Being able to see HP bars as Aliens also makes choosing a 'Shade Hive' to unlock 'Aura' a lot less valuable because you can already see the Marines HP.

edited May 2019
    Any way to mod the effects for the game? or are they on lockdown?