"Save data saving failed..." Error, Can't Save on PC

Willie321Willie321 Join Date: 2019-04-26 Member: 252568Members
I play SN on an iMac and am enjoying the game tremendously. My father purchased the standalone game for his PC (fully updated Windows 10, laptop is less than 2 years old) from an on-line retailer, i.e., not Steam or Epic. We got the game to load and run by launching in Administrator mode, but when he tries to save a game, he gets the following error in a red SN error dialog:

Save data saving failed (Access to the path "C:/ProgramData/Unknown Worlds/Subnautica\TempSave\tmp171232\CellsCache\baked-batch-cells-9-18-7.bin" or "C\Program Files (x86)\Unknown

uvwda0r4zx7b.jpg

I assume that there is more to the message, but that is all that will fit in the dialog box. Note the changing direction of the slashes in the first path. I don't know if that's significant or useful. From what I've read about other users' save problems, my lead suspect is a permissions issue, but I have not had a chance to get back to the PC to investigate that in detail.

I have not seen an example of this specific Save problem in this or any other forum I've searched, though it now occurs to me that if someone was having a Save problem, even if they were using Steam or Epic, I might be able to adapt the solution to the regular Windows file structure that Dad's game is installed in.

Also when I get back in front of the PC, I will try to submit a report through the in-game feedback system, though I'm not sure if it will be able to capture the dialog because I don't know if F8 will be working while the dialog is showing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Willie321

Comments

• Willie321Willie321 Join Date: 2019-04-26 Member: 252568Members
    Update: The in-game feedback system does not work with the dialog open. It may not have been operable at all, but I'm hazy, trying to remember from 5 days ago, and I didn't take notes. That's a whole other bunch of interface features to troubleshoot. Next time I'm on the system, I will try to submit feedback again, just without the dialog visible.
  • Willie321Willie321 Join Date: 2019-04-26 Member: 252568Members
    We tried using the Windows "Repair" installation option and also had to make sure that the game launches in Administrator mode, but it's working and saving properly.
  • ploufi2ploufi2 Join Date: 2019-06-12 Member: 253327Members
    Hi, I really liked this game. One day I played for 4 hours. And when it was the time to save, I had a really weird problem. I have a good computer and a good wifi.

But impossible to save. The button was already used. I could only leave the game without saving :(
  • ME_BOGME_BOG Join Date: 2021-03-01 Member: 268016Members
    SOLUTION: So, this glitch/bug happens when the temp data is wiped, which accidentally happened to me when i opened 2 instances of the game and then closed one.

Basically you need to copy the contents of whatever save you are playing eg. slot0000 into the folder C:\ProgramData\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\TempSave\tmp288855 (the last number is different for everyone.)