Question regarding mods and modding/mod managing tools

Grignard_SNGrignard_SN U.S.A. Join Date: 2018-12-10 Member: 245433Members
I've gotten into a new game of subnautica, and I've added quite a few mods. I've had a lot of success with this, but I have some questions about how mods work with the game and what some of your opinions are on favorite mods, tools, etc.

I've learned to back up my saved data frequently in subnautica, especially when playing with mods. In fact, I used an old saved game I had lost interest in to experiment with problems that might arise. Some interesting issued have arisen, in fact. If you make changes or reinstall something like MoreIngots, any resources created with that mod can be removed. One interesting thing that occurred is that a base interior built in this particular file was considered underwater, while other parts of the base interior were not affected by this issue. I can't prove this is directly related to mods or not. Either way, someone has made a save backup utility that makes backing up and restoring save games into a very efficient process, and I recommend this tool for anyone considering messing with mods.

For Subnautica I typically get mods from Nexus, and I have been using their Vortex mod manager. The mod manager is really neat, in theory, but I've had issues with it. First, the manager stores the mods in your windows appdata file. That seems counter-intuitive and awkward to me. It might be configurable, but now that i've gotten the mods I want set up and working I don't see the point in changing it. The mods don't always install right using the manager. For instance, if the mod requires SMLhelper 2.0, sometimes it works just using the manager install function, and sometimes you have to manually move the assets from the mod into that folder so it seems. This is the best I can explain it. What I'd like to know from experienced mod users and builders is " Would I be better off not using Vortex and just installing the mods manually.

I'd also like to hear what mods you consider indispensable to your experience, or at least that you strongly prefer to run. For me, I simply must have autosorting containers and the habitat control panel. On the other hand, I like the idea that Subnautica does not feature an in-game map, so I have yet to download the map mod.