Whips Countering GL Gernades [Bring it back]

IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 98 Advanced user
Honestly - this has to be the most missed feature for me [outside of silence]. We played a 170min game on ns2_Veil _Cured with great map control. Topo/Nano/WestJunciton/C12. We had everything except Sub/Ore/and Skylights. The GL Spam really hurt. I had crags everywhere with shifts and Shades 200/200 alien structure. Anyway, sharing too much info, but, really. please bring back the GL counter for whips!! Can we try it out again for a while, its very useful and fun! :smiley:

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer Posts: 657 Advanced user
    I agree, the premise was great, but I think nostalgia is making how bad it felt and how the implementation was wonky as hell less obvious to you bud.
    Meph isn't an NSL admin anymore!

#blameHefty
    Vetinari
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,593 Advanced user
    GLs are barely viable as is.
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 830 Advanced user
    GLs are barely viable as is.

In an RTS context, GLs are where they should be: support weapons.
    And even despite that, i've seen pple successfully hunt good lerks with those things (alone).

Aliens have no means to defend against a grenade push (either hand or launcher). If the tech and skills are matched, aliens cant hold against a marine onslaught.
    Having whips disable/ricochet grenades would force marines to use ARCs, which i rarely see in games.
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 181 Advanced user
    in the 327 beta last i checked GLs were in a good spot. Less dmg to lifeforms and more to structures. I admit i have not played the beta in a while so that might have changed.