4546B Planetology

KellvenKellven Join Date: 2019-01-10 Member: 248453Members Posts: 2 Fully active user
Started over in Below Zero for the Sea Truck update, picked up the "Profile: Research Station Zero" data thingy, something caught my eye. "2 kilometers of ocean, located near the planet's equator".
If I pieced it together correctly so far, Robin is "on a large ice cap in the west" (of the equatorial Station Zero).
If I'm just spoiling a piece of plot for later, please just delete this post. If it's just an oversight, pass along to someone doing databank writing so they can nip it before it gets forgotten again.

If however, this is correct, and we have a polar ice cap intact at an equatorial latitude (that isn't caused by aliens), I'm going crosseyed trying to figure out the orbital mechanics of how that could possibly exist.
Just collecting some metrics about 4546B:

-My rig is crap, so I have to play on low, and don't really see the sun properly, but I had the vague impression it moved in a general east west kind of deal, or was it backwards?

-I think it's safe to assume the first game is using magnetic north which aligns generally with spin axis north.

-The first game sort of implied achieving orbit was difficult energetically, which I believe would mean the correct ascent path would be toward the sunrise side equator, so as to gain the planets spin velocity instead of fighting it, or being weird with a polar orbit. The Ice region also appeared to be generally in line with the ascent if I remember, supporting the equatorial idea.

-AFAIK, the only ways to get localized ice regions with liquid water are
a) Artificially lower the local temperature.
b) A massive chemical anomaly yields a geologic scale endothermic reaction that somehow goes on for at least a milennium.
c) The area is consistently either shielded from the primary star, or near the planetary axis perpendicular to the solar orbit plane. That's problematic if it's equatorial, as the planet spin axis would have to point through the star, and I would think would yield a ring of ice, rather than a cap, and the dark half of the planet would be even colder.

I'm going crosseyed again, spatial reasoning isn't my thing, so I'm going to stop and see if anyone else has something to say about it.

Oh, right. If the planet is sideways, and the spin & magnetic axes are pointed through the star, those are the weak points in a planetary magnetosphere. Would expect constant terrifying auroras at the very least, almost certain constant radiation sufficient to EMP unhardened electronics, if not outright fry anything on the surface. I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect it would also be enough to let the solar wind strip any normal planet of it's atmosphere & oceans.