Going to space in subnautica below zero

Turtleking55Turtleking55 Sweden Join Date: 2019-02-11 Member: 250825Members
What would you think about exploring space and a new planet in subnautica below zero. Not making i a space game but being in space a bit would be nice.

Anyone having good ideas of going to space

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    I think this would detract from the game and what it stands for, besides that I would think that that itself would be beyond the scope of what the game is achieving.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    That would be way too much work on development. Like, a significant part of SN2 are ideas there weren't the resources for to put in SN1 and even now there's things that are getting cut.

(The only space place for SN I can see working is having a teleporter to a precursor moon base with limited to no view outside. I blame Majora's Mask and Skies of Arcadia for my fondness of games giving a hint of outer-planet late game.)
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    That would be way too much work on development. Like, a significant part of SN2 are ideas there weren't the resources for to put in SN1 and even now there's things that are getting cut.

(The only space place for SN I can see working is having a teleporter to a precursor moon base with limited to no view outside. I blame Majora's Mask and Skies of Arcadia for my fondness of games giving a hint of outer-planet late game.)

One of the sad realities when it comes to smaller development studios - sometimes you got more ideas than your resources will allow you to put into the game :(
    Though there it's always the possibility of "If it sells well enough, maybe we can do it afterwards..." which then it's less a case of resources/time and a case of "Do we even want to?" sometimes things are cut just because of deciding it just doesn't 'work' with the plan.

Some of these other 'cool ideas' and stuff I'd love to see in either game at some time in the future, even if it is a long wait. Teleporters in base SA, Ice Dragon in Below Zero.... And if they manage to whip up a Map Editor then nobody would need to complain about more biomes since they could mess with that themselves. While likely being limited to the assets the game(s) already have, but in the hands of a creative individual/s that's still quite a lot!
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited February 2019
    What would you think about exploring space and a new planet in subnautica below zero. Not making i a space game but being in space a bit would be nice.

Anyone having good ideas of going to space
    First of all, I think this should be part of the "ideas & suggestions" forum! And although I doubt this will ever be in Below Zero, I also thought about this and think it would be an awesome concept for Subnautica 3.

Space could use the same oxygen, temperature and radiation system of Subnautica 1 or 2. And if there are some space wrecks, you'd even have enough things to scan and explore. The game could even focus more on light & shadow in that it has a direct impact on temperature and radiation level.

The player could then 'dive' down into asteroid caves, could build their bases either floating in space or near asteroids (to be protected by the radiation or 'randomly traversing debris'). They devs could then even create a system of randomly 'spawning' or passing debris or could even introduce rock-to-rock collision system.

Habitat reinforcements would come in handy (as a protection against both collisions & radiation) ... and the propulsion gun (and the grav trap) could than be used to catch these rocks for resources.

And you could add more habitat options - like a interior bacta tank (known from StarWars) - to free your body from radiation.

And the best of it all: It could even take place in orbit around planet 4546B!!! - Since we all know that there's a lot of debris.

And regard of an ecosystem. There have been recent studies that showed that bacteria could - in theory - survive in space. So it wouldn't be surprising, if asteroids (mineral source) and comets (water & carbon source) flying in a fix orbit around a planet would be a perfect place to create a more complex ecosystem.

Life could have adopted to this environment by maximizing their radiation shielding, either by creating own parasols or forming trees out of smaller rocks to block radiation. And plants could have created a cycle of hiding or hibernation whenever their side of the asteroid is facing towards the sun.

I'd absolutely love to see that!
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited February 2019
    An asteroid field full of different lifeforms would also be a completely new approach other games haven't tried out yet.

I also found an asteroid base builder tool (https://august.itch.io/asteroid-base-builder) that gets in the direction I could imagine Subnautica habitats to go as well.